Barred Rock?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
TSC told me this was a “Blue Plymouth Rock” and I can’t really find photos of that breed as a chick. The feathers coming in look a lot like a regular barred rock chick. I know the barred rock is half of the breed but this doesn’t look like what a full grown blue Plymouth color would be. Any thoughts? Too soon? I think she’s about 3.5-4 weeks old. Photos aren’t great but she’s really timid and the others are a little older and try to fly out when I remove the top of the brooder.

Attachments

• 8AABA70C-57E0-46F8-A3F7-A4951F84F9E9.jpeg
    8AABA70C-57E0-46F8-A3F7-A4951F84F9E9.jpeg
    582.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 0B1F4E08-C4CB-4B36-A6EE-71826AA206AF.jpeg
    0B1F4E08-C4CB-4B36-A6EE-71826AA206AF.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 20
  • F1BA8E06-A8F9-4C5D-8864-EAC7E2A75385.jpeg
    F1BA8E06-A8F9-4C5D-8864-EAC7E2A75385.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 37E05EC4-C228-4CEC-A49A-B6DD72299DFA.jpeg
    37E05EC4-C228-4CEC-A49A-B6DD72299DFA.jpeg
    715.6 KB · Views: 20
TSC told me this was a “Blue Plymouth Rock” and I can’t really find photos of that breed as a chick. The feathers coming in look a lot like a regular barred rock chick. I know the barred rock is half of the breed but this doesn’t look like what a full grown blue Plymouth color would be. Any thoughts? Too soon? I think she’s about 3.5-4 weeks old. Photos aren’t great but she’s really timid and the others are a little older and try to fly out when I remove the top of the brooder.
This is a first that I have seen a breed like this. I will learn right along with you. She's so cute!

The feathers coming in look a lot like a regular barred rock chick. I know the barred rock is half of the breed but this doesn’t look like what a full grown blue Plymouth color would be. Any thoughts? Too soon?
Did they say "pullet" or "straight run"? Supposed to be sex linked cross.. females (should be) solid black or blue (*technically* they must have used a Splash (blue) Andalusian or have lav somewhere in there to always get blue shades and no black hens or maybe they just sell the black ones as black sex links??) to get all blue females and barred males.. So if that label was accurate then it would be a cockerel and NOT a barred ROCK at all since "blue Plymouth Rocks" are hybrids.. Another clue on sex linked males the white bars would be double wide compared to the black ones.. that last statement unfortunately being VERY subjective... Description towards the bottom of the page in following link is accurate according to my understanding.. regarding *breed* in question..

https://www.thechickhatchery.com/product/sapphire-blue-plymouth-rock/

TSC has their bins mislabeled and their breeds mixed up VERY often. Their employees, don't usually know much beyond what they're told.

Ignoring the barring itself, though it *might* or could be an early indicator .. I'm not currently seeing anything screaming cockerel, but it is still early for most breeds.. the next couple weeks (5-6) often being super revealing if they're going to..

If it ends up female.. then you'll know breed was inaccurate.. then consider Rock, American standard Marans, etc.. depending on skin color and other clues seen.

Sorry if I added to your confusion.. hopefully it's just more of an adventure. I agree, cute baby! :wee

Did they say "pullet" or "straight run"? Supposed to be sex linked cross.. females (should be) solid black or blue (*technically* they must have used a Splash (blue) Andalusian or have lav somewhere in there to always get blue shades and no black hens or maybe they just sell the black ones as black sex links??) to get all blue females and barred males.. So if that label was accurate then it would be a cockerel and NOT a barred ROCK at all since "blue Plymouth Rocks" are hybrids.. Another clue on sex linked males the white bars would be double wide compared to the black ones.. that last statement unfortunately being VERY subjective... Description towards the bottom of the page in following link is accurate according to my understanding.. regarding *breed* in question..

TSC has their bins mislabeled and their breeds mixed up VERY often. Their employees, don't usually know much beyond what they're told.

Ignoring the barring itself, though it *might* or could be an early indicator .. I'm not currently seeing anything screaming cockerel, but it is still early for most breeds.. the next couple weeks (5-6) often being super revealing if they're going to..

If it ends up female.. then you'll know breed was inaccurate.. then consider Rock, American standard Marans, etc.. depending on skin color and other clues seen.

Sorry if I added to your confusion.. hopefully it's just more of an adventure. I agree, cute baby! :wee
I appreciate your input! It definitely said pullet. I sure hope it’s not a cockerel. We can’t have a rooster here…

If it means anything the chick was solid black when we got it at a few days old.

Shoot. I just checked your link. Here is the chick at a few days old. Thoughts? Is that the white spot they’re talking about?

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 17
Shoot. I just checked your link. Here is the chick at a few days old. Thoughts? Is that the white spot they’re talking about?
The white spot indicates that it's barred.. and yes, that's what they're talking about.

It definitely said pullet. I sure hope it’s not a cockerel. We can’t have a rooster here…
Hopefully it's a misplaced or mislabeled other breed chick that has barred females also, like an actual barred Rock.. their bins often have more than one breed and the other labels aren't always easy to see.. :fl

The white spot indicates that it's barred.. and yes, that's what they're talking about.

Hopefully it's a misplaced or mislabeled other breed chick that has barred females also, like an actual barred Rock.. their bins often have more than one breed and the other labels aren't always easy to see.. :fl
Any chance she’s a maran instead?

I bought 4 different breeds from there and was told one was a “blue maran” and one was a “blue Plymouth.” Looking at photos I’m wondering if the sales person mixed them up when telling me who was who. My other chick looks more like the Plymouth’s on google. I’m attaching a photo of the other chick from 3 weeks ago. If it helps I can grab a photo of her tomorrow as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 15
Any chance she’s a maran instead?

I bought 4 different breeds from there and was told one was a “blue maran” and one was a “blue Plymouth.”
Marans have white skin.. seen most easily under the bottom of the feet.

French standard have feathered legs.. Many hatcheries are breeding American standard Marans with clean legs.

What some places are calling blue cuckoo Marans.. aren't traditional cuckoo at all, but maybe not relevant since your's only said blue Marans.. which is also separate from blue copper. (for informational purposes)
That baby in the most recent pic does look blue. and what I can make out on my screen looks like white skin.

Marans have white skin.. seen most easily under the bottom of the feet.

French standard have feathered legs.. Many hatcheries are breeding American standard Marans with clean legs.

What some places are calling blue cuckoo Marans.. aren't traditional cuckoo at all, but maybe not relevant since your's only said blue Marans.. which is also separate from blue copper. (for informational purposes)
That baby in the most recent pic does look blue. and what I can make out on my screen looks like white skin.
I wish I paid better attention to what the signs on the bins said. I was overwhelmed and just sort of let the tsc employee help me. She seemed knowledgeable about chickens (said she had 30 of her own) so I went with it. She told me what the breeds were as she put them in the box. The other two was a a leghorn and Easter egger so I know those for sure, but the black one and blue one are my mysteries.

I guess in the end it doesn’t really matter as long as they all end up pullets. Live and learn.

Thank you again for all of your detailed responses. It’s very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom