What gender? (Pic Heavy) Eastern wilds

ma2babygurl13

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Fairborn OH
These 2 birds were hatched May 18th from a hatchery (Can't remember off the top of my head which one) Supposed to be Eastern Wilds. What gender do you think they are? (one has NO snood what soever not even a bump so to tell them apart I call them non snood and snood)

(non snood)
wood186.jpg

(non snood)
wood193.jpg

Breast feather of the "snooded one"
wood188.jpg

Head shot of the Non Snooded one
wood190.jpg

Head shot of the snooded one
wood192.jpg

Head shot of both (non snood in front)
wood195.jpg

View of both (non snood in front)
wood194.jpg

I'm not sure looking at them I would think I have a pair, neither have strutted both have attempted to gobble...
Non Snood is bigger in size than snood
Non Snood is much more inquisitive
Snood is very standoffish
Snood has a "kinder" eye and smaller head...
LMK what you think!

Last edited:
Looks like they are both hens to me. I have 6 Palms that were hatched about 2 weeks after yours, and it's extremely obvious now which are males and which are females. I think if you had males, you would see bigger snoods, bigger flaps of skin under the chin (I'm sure there is a name for that, but I don't remember it), and a lot of carbuncles (or whatever they call THOSE) on the neck.

By the looks of the picture the Snooded one is a definate hen. Also by the way you describe her as smaller in size, and a smaller more femine head.
The non-snooded one i would say is a tom. You said he is larger in size, and thats what caught my attention. Also formt he pictures you can tell his wattle is more pronounced and also a larger rounder head and more bald look to him.

Back
Top Bottom