What gender? Rouen and Khaki Campbell ducklings

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
I know they aren't the best pictures, but they're the only ones the seller provided.
I'm thinking about buying these two ducks from CL, I just wanted to see if anybody could tell the sex, I know they're young.
What do you think???

3nc3o03le5V15Z05S0a8n3d9713b68a361bd0.jpg

3k43ma3p05O45U55S5a8nc80e18889c27157b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's impossible to tell by looks at that age. When you go to look at them, listen to their 'quacks'. Males of that size will still be mostly peepy (for quite a while actually), and the females might have a peep but should have a loud 'wack!' as well. I'll find some youtubes of duck sounds to help you know what to listen for
smile.png

In the first pic, am I seeing green on the head of the one up front? If so, it's a drake for sure. I don't know about the other one.

Quote:
Not so. I have known more than one female rouen duck to have some green sheen to her head, especially when young.

when trying to sex my young mallards i noticed that all my birds had a hint of green on there head even though there were 4 drakes and 4 ducks. the green head is always last in my flock. when my males molt the get the steel gray coming in first, then the mulberry chest and once those have pretty much came in all the way, then the head turns green. may be different in others experiences. also the bill color can help you in sexing young birds. the drakes will tend to have a bright yellow or dark greenish blue looking bill and the hens will have a orangish yellow and black bill. but quacks are the best answer. if it quacks it is definatley a girl. if it doesn't it is a boy or still to young to quack.

Quote:
I can't believe I forgot about the bills! I just today noticed in my flock of rouens that the ducks had yellow and black bills and the drakes have all-yellow bills! My young rouen drake looked just like a duck FOREVER except for the white band on the front of the neck when he was about 6-8 weeks old. Now at almost 6 months he's finally looking like a drake.

As far as the sounds, even the babies have different sounding peeps if you are around a lot of baby ducks you can start to tell them very early.
smile.png
But definitely go by the sound, most of my large breed ducks started quacking under stress around 2-3 weeks old.

ETA: By 'stress' I mean picking them up normally, I don't handle mine much
wink.png
Baby rouen duck would say 'peep! peep! WACK! at 2 or 3 weeks old
lau.gif

Last edited:
It's very tough to tell by this age but my best guess is that's a female Rouen and likely a KC drake.

Listen to the quacks - drakes will sound hoarse, like they have a bad throat cold. Girls will have a sharper, cackle-like quack. I always describe it as sounding like your overweight, drunk auntie at the family reunion laughing at her own joke!

The ducklings are approx. 5 weeks old, will you be able to distinguish quacks with a good amount of certainty at this age?
I'm really excited about this find, I've emailed the OP on CL. Cross your fingers for me that they're still available!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom