What gender??

My 3 favorite silvers this hatch are all tuxes, and by my theory, Angel, Apollo, and Orion are all males 😞, so I’ll see if that turns out to be true haha.
Oh no!! Now I don’t know whether to hope you're right or not 😆 love their names regardless! I am a plant ecologist by day, so mine are all going to be named after native plants haha 😁 my mom thinks they’re terrible names 😆

1 is a range pattern and not feather sexable, maybe grau fee?

2 And 3 are a wild pattern, it’s too soon to be sure, but they aren’t looking male yet. I can’t tell if they’re falb fee or pharaoh, it doesn’t look like they have much brown.

4 Rosetta, not feather sexable

5 same as 2 and 3, I suspect it’s male, can you get a better front shot of the chest?

6 silver, looks like range pattern, not feather sexable.

tho 1 and 6 are not feather sexable, I suspect they are male. Let me know if I’m way off in a few weeks ok?
Okay I have confirmation...you correctly guessed 1 and 6 as males! Nice job!! I’m super excited that Silvie is a boy :) Gonna put him in with my blue egg layers when they’re ready! Woohoo :) The rosetta got out of the pen (daughter didn’t latch the door) and flew into our main yard and the dog got it...so I’ll never know what Rumex was :-( Blah, dogs and quail are not very compatible!!

I couldn’t remember what thread this was in, but it’s such a funny timing coincidence, today I caught Apollo crowing. It’s raining so I couldn’t stand around and observe much, and I was not inclined to climb around much in the mud to catch them and check for foam. I’m glad you updated so I could find the thread. If it’s dry tomorrow I’ll check Angel and Orion for foam.
Would be pretty awesome if you have figured out a way to sex silvers! I would not want to climb around in the yucky mud either! It’s gonna be over 100 here 🤢

Would be pretty awesome if you have figured out a way to sex silvers! I would not want to climb around in the yucky mud either! It’s gonna be over 100 here 🤢
So Apollo and Orion are males, but the jury is still out on Angel.

Yesterday Angel laid a big blue egg. I’m super happy to have been wrong. I’m not convinced the method doesn’t work, perhaps I just need more practice, I got like 6 out of 7 correct. Time will tell.
Yay! You got one hen anyway! :) Those are pretty good odds for your method! I was really hoping for some blue egg layers, but I am NOT having great luck with them. Out of the 6 I bought as chicks, 2 were eaten by my dog, one stopped thriving after a week, and only 1 is a hen. The hen is being picked on my my falb and grau fee hens and is currently hiding a lot, and the one Celadon male that was getting seriously beat up on is now doing the bullying in the mail jail pen...SIGH. My current batch of blue eggers that I got from Nabiki haven't shown any signs of hatching but I have 3 of her pansy fees that have hatched and I only saw about 3 Celadons that when candled, looked promising. I may just need to settle with normal quail and forget about the blue eggers!

Back
Top Bottom