C60C47C6-3F43-4291-9869-77B3F7DD57D8.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 2
  • AA409BFE-07DE-4A8B-B298-AF7261A985A7.jpeg
    AA409BFE-07DE-4A8B-B298-AF7261A985A7.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 2
  • FC5604C0-D3A8-429C-86DF-9A7BA4A06D37.jpeg
    FC5604C0-D3A8-429C-86DF-9A7BA4A06D37.jpeg
    901.1 KB · Views: 2
If there are not females within view you could try and start a bachelor flock. That is a flock with only males, I have read that they tend to do well in bachelor flocks, but I have never had one myself. You may need to seperate them, and you may not, even with hens. I had a flock with 2 roosters in an admittedly too small of a pen for all the birds I had and they were fine with eachother. Good luck with your two beautiful boys!

If there are not females within view you could try and start a bachelor flock. That is a flock with only males, I have read that they tend to do well in bachelor flocks, but I have never had one myself. You may need to seperate them, and you may not, even with hens. I had a flock with 2 roosters in an admittedly too small of a pen for all the birds I had and they were fine with eachother. Good luck with your two beautiful boys
If there are not females within view you could try and start a bachelor flock. That is a flock with only males, I have read that they tend to do well in bachelor flocks, but I have never had one myself. You may need to seperate them, and you may not, even with hens. I had a flock with 2 roosters in an admittedly too small of a pen for all the birds I had and they were fine with eachother. Good luck with your two beautiful boys!
Thank you for explaining from your point of view and experience. I am interested in keeping my two as I have now learned roosters and if I could have them together without them fighting or having a blood bath it would be terrific. Could three roosters work out as well as two and how long before they start to get along before I intergrade them with the rest of the flock?

I currently have five roosters living peacefully in a small pen. There are no squabbles, and they are even joined by two other roosters and two hens in the coop at night.

Sadly, these guys are meant for freezer camp. I may keep one of the Legbars and see how it goes with him and integrating into my small flock.

I also have two Bantam Cochin and one Silky rooster doing okay right now together, with two hens. They are from this Spring though. I'll have to keep my eye on them next year, as we don't want to have to get rid of any of them.

I currently have five roosters living peacefully in a small pen. There are no squabbles, and they are even joined by two other roosters and two hens in the coop at night.

Sadly, these guys are meant for freezer camp. I may keep one of the Legbars and see how it goes with him and integrating into my small flock.

I also have two Bantam Cochin and one Silky rooster doing okay right now together, with two hens. They are from this Spring though. I'll have to keep my eye on them next year, as we don't want to have to get rid of any of them.

Have any of your Roos had any little fights at all like mine are having and will they grow out of it? Donā€™t want one to kill the other :oops:

With the five in the pen, they seem to be doing okay. There was an additional little EE cockerel in there, and he was terrified of the big roos. I took him out and he has his own little harem now and is free ranging peacefully.

I have so far been very lucky with my males. Next Spring, I'm going to be adding a bunch of hens, but they won't be old enough for several months. I'd try to raise some from chicks now, but I already have four OEGB inside, three rabbits (that are going outside soon!), a blind Silkie and her cockerel friend, and two newly hatched ducklings which will need to overwinter in the relative warmth of my trailer. Last thin I need is a bunch of chirping chicks, lol!

Back
Top Bottom