What good egglaying and friendly breeds are the best mix to have together in one flock (raised by hand together)?

So many choices!
For friendly, Speckled Sussex are often right up there, also beautiful. The best egg layers are Leghorns or mixes. The production reds, including those orange hatchery Rhode Island Reds, tend to be pushy in the flock and feather pick, in my experience.
French Marans can be social, and lay nice dark brown eggs, although not huge numbers per year. Easter Eggers lay green eggs, although color varies, but they can be friendly. Some of our Buckeyes are social too.
Salmon Favorelles are nice, but a poor mix with those pushy production reds, who might really bully them.
Personality varies in all breeds, it's an individual thing. Something to consider is how much space you have; be careful about breeds that are described as 'very active' or who will range far.
Henderson's Poultry Breed chart is very helpful, as is feathersite.
Really, pick a variety that look interesting, and see how it goes!
Mary

I have a flock of 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons who I got first, they are close knit, I get a egg from them every day. They are friendly with eachother, a lovely mix.

then I have a dominique, a california white, and a faverolles. They are friends, but they do their own thing. Unlike the buff and barred group, they are spread across the yard, not moving in one singular group. They get along, but they are not best friends.

My california white does well with the buff and the bars, so does my dominique. My faverolle does NOT get along with the buff and the bar group..

at the end of the day though, all 7 chooks sleep on the same roost bar. There are small squabbles here and there, but they are all *mostly* get along

So many choices!
For friendly, Speckled Sussex are often right up there, also beautiful. The best egg layers are Leghorns or mixes. The production reds, including those orange hatchery Rhode Island Reds, tend to be pushy in the flock and feather pick, in my experience.
French Marans can be social, and lay nice dark brown eggs, although not huge numbers per year. Easter Eggers lay green eggs, although color varies, but they can be friendly. Some of our Buckeyes are social too.
Salmon Favorelles are nice, but a poor mix with those pushy production reds, who might really bully them.
Personality varies in all breeds, it's an individual thing. Something to consider is how much space you have; be careful about breeds that are described as 'very active' or who will range far.
Henderson's Poultry Breed chart is very helpful, as is feathersite.
Really, pick a variety that look interesting, and see how it goes!
Mary
THANKS!! Yes, I did pick up on the active foragers and thought...nope! I will take a look at the resources you mentioned.

I will only recommend either all full size birds or bantam birds. Mixing sizes of birds can be done, but it can be tricky. Personally I like a mix of flocks, and in that mix, I like some production birds.

But I also keep a flock, where as birds come in and birds go out of the flock.

In my opinion people get way too worried about breed as far as integration and them getting along goes. If they are raised together they generally do really well together. Even if they are all the same breed you can still have issues so there are no guarantees, but I would not hesitate to mix breeds. I do mix breeds, I really like a mixed flock. Just get them all at the same time at the same age and raise them together.

Get breeds that you think you want. I'll give you links to Henderson's and Feathersite that Mary mentioned. Go through Henderson's and pick out breeds that you might like, then go to Feathersite to see photos of them.

Henderson’s Breed Chart

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Feathersite

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Then go to a hatchery webpage and see what they have available. I'd order them all from the same place so they arrive together. What the hatchery has available could be a limiting factor.

Most hatcheries also have chickens that are not a recognized breed or may be a mix. They are not in Henderson's or Feathersite. Some of those can be a lot of fun too. Your problem is not which ones to get, your problems is which to not get, there are so many good choices.

In my opinion people get way too worried about breed as far as integration and them getting along goes. If they are raised together they generally do really well together. Even if they are all the same breed you can still have issues so there are no guarantees, but I would not hesitate to mix breeds. I do mix breeds, I really like a mixed flock. Just get them all at the same time at the same age and raise them together.

Get breeds that you think you want. I'll give you links to Henderson's and Feathersite that Mary mentioned. Go through Henderson's and pick out breeds that you might like, then go to Feathersite to see photos of them.

Henderson’s Breed Chart

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Feathersite

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Then go to a hatchery webpage and see what they have available. I'd order them all from the same place so they arrive together. What the hatchery has available could be a limiting factor.

Most hatcheries also have chickens that are not a recognized breed or may be a mix. They are not in Henderson's or Feathersite. Some of those can be a lot of fun too. Your problem is not which ones to get, your problems is which to not get, there are so many good choices.
That is so true about what is really the problem!! Also confirms my thoughts on folks overthinking it and seems to just vary per flock per chicken anyway. I have a place to purchase so what they offer narrows the selctions greatly. I was thinking if one breed got along better with another that would narrow it also....can only pick 6! People are suggesting sex links as well to ensure getting all hens. I have been looking on the those sites provided by you and Mary -- Super helpful!! TY!!!

Back
Top Bottom