What goose food?

Jchantecler

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
I just read the "found a gosling" article, and saw the number of different opinions about goose feed. I just purchased two shetland goslings, an am feeding them Albers poultry food. The bag says it is for all ages of any type of poultry, but I'm not sure... Anyway, they are really adorable.

Well, different things are available in different areas. You'll get a lot of different answers.

As long as it is non-medicated (preferrably at least), for chickens of the same age, for waterfowl specifically, or to raise different varieties of poultry, I'd say it's okay (from what I read in Holderread's books). I think fresh greens and grains are also an integral part of a goose's diet.

I am currently feeding Purina Flock Raiser.
One tip though... inspect the food thoroughly before you feed it.
My first bag was Non-Medicated Manna Pro and it was completely infested with maggots (I returned it right away).

I was happy to switch to Purina.

Geese eat grass. Lots and lots of grass. They also love the lettuce family (though not arugula) and they'll eat a few "critters" like snails, but those are supplements to .... grass.

I like the idea of using a (non-medicated!!) chick starter or other good supplement, and just plain lots of new-growth grass. They're the most exclusive grassivores I've ever seen.

I have a flock of 14-16 geese (depends if you count "Brokey" or "Meeps" - leg stepped on by horse, orphaned and lives w/ the chickens) Anyway, all of them live on freerange food, mostly grass, and course cracked corn. Their free ranging covers about 6 acres of horse pasture, plus the front and back yards. Probably 3/4 cup more of corn less per bird 2x a day year round. In the dark depths of winter the flock nibble on the horse's hay and they get some maintenance game bird food. Lots of fresh water. They are thriving!

My little gosling will be 3 weeks old monday and he doesn't eat as much as my ducks of the same age. I got them all at the same time and feed them purina start and grow crumbles. He won't eat out of the same bowl as the ducks. I have started feeding them fresh cut grass and they love it. He's the leader of the flock.

Quote:
Isn't Start and Grow medicated feed?
Might want to double check on that... I feed that to my young chickens and it's medicated.

It says it for chicks, ducks and geese. No it is not medicated. They advised me at the feed mill to feed it to them. That is what they are feeding their babies. You can get the medicated but this is not.

My geese eat 1.) grass 2.) My garden when possible and 3) grass. We do suppliment cracked corn and they are great at cleaning up under the bird feeders. My local produce market saves me lettuce, broccoli leaves, greens (no spinach) and califlower leaves that I feed both my chickens and geese. You have to sometimes pick thru and clean out the bad stuff but they love it.

Will anyone that knows please enlighten me? I have read somewhere (maybe on BYC) that spinach is bad for the geese, something about enzymes in it being bad for them. Is this true? I have always avoided spinach because of this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom