What goose to get with ducks?

NTTD

Hatching
Jun 18, 2019
What breed/gender of goose to raise and keep with ducks?

After much research on this site and elsewhere, we're considering adding one goose to our order of 4 female Welsh Harelquins coming in May.
Will grow up/live together; be kept in the same brooder, then the same coop once they go outside.

We are suburbanites, the back yard is about 75 x 30 with about 1/4 of that lawn (I understand grass is important for geese).
We have trees ringing the yard, one side is the house, and on two sides the ground slopes up 8 feet+ with a 6 foot fence, so I think we have some protection from raptors because there's not a great flight path into the yard.

We are hoping the goose would provide enjoyment, entertainment, comic relief, and hopefully a bit more predator warning/protection.
Was considering a male but afraid what might happen during mating season, not sure if he'd likely terrorize the ducks or if he'd likely ignore them.

Though, having neighbors, noise is some concern. We're familiar with keeping ducks but geese are foreign to us.

I was thinking Roman Crested because they're a bit smaller, but looking for input from the hivemind.

Thanks in advance!

You need to add two geese. Geese need to have a friend of their own kind. Ducks are not the same as another goose. Two females is fine if you don't want a gander.

I personally have Tufted Romans, and they are great little geese. Excellent temperaments, very friendly. I definitely recommend them.

You need to add two geese. Geese need to have a friend of their own kind. Ducks are not the same as another goose. Two females is fine if you don't want a gander.

I personally have Tufted Romans, and they are great little geese. Excellent temperaments, very friendly. I definitely recommend them.
I was afraid that may be a suggestion.
Our less-than-a-year-old coop is on the small side (about 16 ft²).
  • 4 ducks, no problem
  • 4 ducks & 1 goose, pushing it
  • 4 ducks & 2 geese, I think we'd be overcrowded
How are the tufted on noise? We don't want to be a nuisance neighbor.
I know the cute honking to us could be "I'm gonna shoot that goose!" to a neighbor! ;)
EDIT: changed "crested" to "tufted".

Last edited:
Small yard calls for small geese. From holderreads

https://www.holderreadfarm.com/Fall_adult_sales_list/Fall_adult_sales_list_page.htm
Oregon Mini Geese

We have been developing and breeding these small, domestic geese for more than a decade. They are heavily muscled, excellent foragers, fine natural parents and have been extra tame. We have them in a variety of colors including auto-sexing, gray, splashed, saddleback and belted and pure white.

My goose originally had a sister who died at 10 yrs of age. She is now 14. My goose is fine with just my chickens. In fact, my goose loved my goats a LOT, and followed them around.
I did just buy some ducks but not sure how that will go over, with her having to share her bucket of water and turtle. I have planned to get another goose, since mine is getting up in age. I have a Toulouse...very calm breed except when laying eggs and then she will attack you.

I wouldn't recommend keeping ducks and geese in the same pen/coop, geese in springtime can wreak havoc. Most geese are going to be loud, especially ganders.

Back
Top Bottom