1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What got my chickens **GRAPHIC**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by homestead 101, Nov 27, 2016.

1. dmanhefner

dmanhefner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    Id guess a family of racoons. Looks like they ate alot

2. mysti30

mysti30 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2016
    I had the same problem with raccoons and possums until we upgraded our pen. We set some live traps around our chickens coop and sure enough that is what we caught.

3. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I agree, raccoon or possum. They love to rip the bird apart and only take a morsel.

4. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina

My buddy's chickens where slaughtered by a raccoon the same way, it even took a chunk out of a living chicken's thigh!

5. mysti30

mysti30 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2016
    It could have been a family of raccoons. I have seen around 5 in my yard at one time.

6. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    I had the same problem when i started raising chickens I lost 12 in one week even though everybody told me EVERYTHING EATS CHICKENS .Looks like your critter is a raccoons I tried everything , fortified all wire,I set have-a-heart traps caught 2 carried them off 10 miles. They have not entered those traps again in last 6 months there too smart even with sardines ,caned dog food, and a couple of eggs . I still find coon droppings all around my three coops almost every morning they keeping looking for weakness. Finally went to electric fences.The only problem I have since then is one weekend I went away and forgot to turn on of my shockers they reached through the welded wire (1'X2') and chewed off two heads and a wing.
    Shockers are cheep About $20 at Tractor Supply wire and plastic stakes another $20 I have one wire about 4" off the ground one at 8" and one at about 12" I check it every evening then I tuck them in for the night. It works for me and eliminates the heartache of loosing a friend.
    Good Luck
    Harry

8. chickenparot

chickenparot Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    Great idea Harry

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Raccoons based on following.

Raccoons - feathers have slobbery look, bones chewed through, multiple victims on a single visit, work sometimes as family group
    Possums - often chews through to dismember but does not work as a group so likely only one bird attacked and only it dismembered. Feathers can have slobbery look
    Coyotes - move prey off rarely eating on site
    Hawks - de-feathering extensive with plucked feathers appearing dry. Does not dismember by chewing through, rather by tearing.

If birds left, then either tighten up that pen big time or move them. Consider setting up a live trap or two. When I do not have proper defenses in place I sleep with window open and have weapon and flashlite at ready by door. During day tighten up that coop.

1 person likes this.
  10. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I agree with your comments, but the only problem was there was only a small hole and most of the damage is in the middle of the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by