What got my chickens **GRAPHIC**

I had the same problem with raccoons and possums until we upgraded our pen. We set some live traps around our chickens coop and sure enough that is what we caught.

Sorry for your loss
1f62f.png

I had the same problem when i started raising chickens I lost 12 in one week even though everybody told me EVERYTHING EATS CHICKENS .Looks like your critter is a raccoons I tried everything , fortified all wire,I set have-a-heart traps caught 2 carried them off 10 miles. They have not entered those traps again in last 6 months there too smart even with sardines ,caned dog food, and a couple of eggs . I still find coon droppings all around my three coops almost every morning they keeping looking for weakness. Finally went to electric fences.The only problem I have since then is one weekend I went away and forgot to turn on of my shockers they reached through the welded wire (1'X2') and chewed off two heads and a wing.
Shockers are cheep About $20 at Tractor Supply wire and plastic stakes another $20 I have one wire about 4" off the ground one at 8" and one at about 12" I check it every evening then I tuck them in for the night. It works for me and eliminates the heartache of loosing a friend.
Good Luck
Harry

Raccoons based on following.

Raccoons - feathers have slobbery look, bones chewed through, multiple victims on a single visit, work sometimes as family group
Possums - often chews through to dismember but does not work as a group so likely only one bird attacked and only it dismembered. Feathers can have slobbery look
Coyotes - move prey off rarely eating on site
Hawks - de-feathering extensive with plucked feathers appearing dry. Does not dismember by chewing through, rather by tearing.

If birds left, then either tighten up that pen big time or move them. Consider setting up a live trap or two. When I do not have proper defenses in place I sleep with window open and have weapon and flashlite at ready by door. During day tighten up that coop.

I agree with your comments, but the only problem was there was only a small hole and most of the damage is in the middle of the coop

Back
Top Bottom