What got you into chickens?

la dee da

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Missouri
I was thinking yesterday about what made me want to own chickens (don't have any yet), and I starting wondering what got all of you into them. So please, share your story!
caf.gif

What got me into chickens is my mom has a friend that owned them. They were red, I think they were hatchery RIR though I can't be sure. I used to love to watch them eat and would catch frogs for them. It seems like the more research I do on chickens, the more I want them, haha!
lol.png

I'm a farm girl at heart. We bought some land and I conned my husband with the term "lap dog of the chicken world" (that's what we had read about Silkies).

There is a local petting zoo in a shopping mall. (Not really a mall but a collection fo circa 1900 houses that surround an old mill and all have been converted into little shops including the mill itself). Well they have a few white crested black Polish. I love animals out of the ordinary (pugs, dachshunds, smash faced cats, exotic birds, etc). So I read and read and decided to get them when a friend of mine mentioned getting sexlinks this year for eggs.

My mother gave me the chicken bug.

It started in the early 1970's when my sister and I were well under the age of 10 or so. My mom went all natural and decided to buy a few chickens for fresh no additives eggs. (She changed our whole way of eating way back then and she never served meat since.)

Anyway the funny thing is that her first 3 chickens made such an impression on my sister and I. We still remember every detail about those 3 girls. Their names were Nancy, (looked like a purplish buff O) Zelda, (she was yellowish with brown flecks) and then there was Hilda Gard (a fine-looking leghorn with a bent-over-the-eye comb). Nancy was so tame she would squat down so we could pick her up. Zelda was just "out there" spacey. Hilda was just plain mean, she would peck your eyes out.

Now I am a mom of a 12 year old girl and we have always had a backyard bird or two. Currently we have a RIR named Ruby, a black Australorp named Felicia and a beautiful Ameraucauna named Olive.

My daughter and her best friend are out there almost once each weekend day fooling around with those birds. I like to watch them from my office window. What they are actually playing/pretending is a mystery to me way up here in my office, but it so entertaining to watch them holding the chickens.

I think I passed on the Chicken-Loving Torch to my daughter and perhaps her friend too.
smile.png

Quote:
lol smashed face cats.... I like 'em too.

we have a flat head cat...his name is Sherpa

I had a chicken as a kid, loved it dearly. Saw a chicken in my neighbors backyard along with a duck and a turkey i think. Well, I wanted to see "chicken walk" in my yard. Found this site...

Last edited:
Over a year ago my hubby (mechanic) brought home 2 babies left behind on the biddy bus brought in for service. He (country boy) thought I (pure city girl) would think they were cute and we would find them another home shortly. I fell in love and now even though the original 2 are gone I am the happy owner of 25 chickens of various ages, breeds and 4 coop/runs.
big_smile.png
and he is still willing to get me more, I am so lucky.

Back
Top Bottom