What gun do I want?

Nevermind, not what you were lookin' for. That's what I get for reading half a post.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's an example:

Your statement "A 7mm08 with the proper bullet will kill anything any of the cartridges you named will.", is ludicrous.

As for my "buddies" who flinch, I was speaking of the customers who used to come into my gun store and tell me their tales of woe about the huge elk/bear/Alberta Whitetail/etc. they "hit really good" but couldn't find. Fortunately after years of birdhunting and bowhunting, the guys who taught me about rifles and rifle shooting had real knowledge and liked animals to be dead where they stood.

Your customers are EXACTLY the ones I was referring to.
If they "couldn't find" they don't KNOW where (or even if) they hit it.

They won't admit to othemselves they made a poor shot, so they go with a larger gun to make up for it, and the problem gets worse.

"Dead where they stood" is not a realistic expectation with ANY cartridge unless you hit the CNS.

Also the OP stated she liked the 243 because she could handle the recoil, so it's not likely she would shoot a much larger cartridge enough to become proficient.

The 7mm-08, is accurate, a joy to shoot and is great for lots of stuff, but to say it will dispatch anything that a 7mm Mag, (no favorite of mine), or the 300 Win, is just not right. The kinetic energies listed on ballistic charts tell the story. Speed doesn't kill, but kinetic energy/shot placement and good bullets do.

An animal won't notice a few hundred ft lbs difference at reasonable ranges.

John Taylor killed most every kind of animal in Africa with a 7 MM Mauser.
Jack O'Conner took most all the North American animals with a 270 Winchester

That's before everyone "knew" you couldn't kill them unless your cartidge said "Magnum"​

I would agree with Bearfoot 100% not only because I know him and know of his weapon experience. My wife uses a 243 for deer, I use either a 7-08 or a 308 depending on the range. 100 to 200 yards the 243 or the 7-08 is a one shot kill. By that I mean drop within 50 feet of bullet impact. I will shoot my 308 out to 300 yards but only when I can be sure I put my round where it needs to go. Would I go after a bear or an elk with less than a 308.... no. Can I hit it yes, I shoot alot and have just a little experience as a military shooter.
smile.png
As a shooter the target I shoot at should get a clean kill, that's what any shooter would want. If I was the OP for bear and elk I would learn how to shoot a 300 win mag very well, if you can spend a day at the range with that and shoot 8 and 9 rings at 200 and 300 yards you are good to go.

Bottom line is what your are shooting at is worth a clean kill, Sure you can kill a bear with a 22 - what a week or 2 later or more. Pick a caliber and learn how to use it is your best bet..... 8 and 9 rings everytime.

Steve​

Back
Top Bottom