What happened? Huge egg and blood

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NorTracNY, Nov 2, 2008.

1. NorTracNY

NorTracNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Macedon, NY
    OK, I'm really wondering what is going on. I had been getting 2-3 eggs a day until last weekend. That's when I discovered the "other" nest. So for the last 7 days I have gotten 5 eggs/day from 5 chickens!!! What happened to shorter days and less laying?
    But today something really strange happened. When we checked for eggs in the morning, we found 3 in the nest box. One was bigger than any we've ever seen. I get a fair number (~1/10) of jumbo double yolks. But this is HUGE. I haven't cracked it open. Do triples exists? The other 2 eggs were in the coop out of the boxes. Most of the straw was out of the nest boxes. The wood shaving were scattered in the coop. There was what looked like blood all around the boxes. There was then blood all around their waterer in the run.
    I would think that the chickens were fighting, but I don't see any noticeable wounds. Where should I be closely examining? Does the huge egg have anything to do with this??? It's really weird. Yes I'm new to chickens... Just had them since spring.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Triples are possible but quite rare. Take a pic & post if it's a triple.

Have you examined each of your birds to see which one was injured? It could be the large egg or could be pecking/fighting over a favorite nesting box.

Good luck!

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Not sure how big the egg really is, but maybe the hen has a tear?
    Check them all out.

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Can you post a pic of that egg? I would love to see it. [​IMG]

5. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    id like to see the egg

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You need to 1) check all the birds for injuries and 2) post of pic of the egg

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I would check your girls carefully, especially their vents.

8. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    a month or so ago, my white leghorn laid a gigantic egg, and for about 2 weeks after their was blood on her eggs. she seemed fine though, and it has finally gone away. The only thing is there wasnt blood all over the coop, which would make me think that its one of your other chickens.
    was there blood on her egg?

9. NorTracNY

NorTracNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Macedon, NY
    I will try to post a picture of the egg. I'll try to check their vents today, but it may be dark by the time I get out there. There wasn't any blood on the egg. I didn't notice any blood anywhere other than all the walls of both nest boxes and all around the water which was really strange. Hopefully some of your hunches are correct in that it's the vent and not fighting.

10. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

In the dark is the perfect time to check, as they will be roosting and holding nice and still. That's when I check for lice/mites. Just take a flashlight out with you, it'll be a cinch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by