what happened to her feathers?

coyotesmommy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Is'nt it too early for molting? Check out my chickens belly, she is not even a year old may 8 months, and all the feathers on her tummy are gone
sad.png
I thought they molted in the spring after being at least a year old. The other two dont look like that and one is couple months older. hummmm
95868_2011-12-01_07-37-32_440.jpg

Her belly doesn't look red or irritated.....Has she been broody? They will pick out their belly feathers when they're broody, so their skin can actually touch the eggs.....Helps keep the eggs warmer, and the feathers line the nest.....

You're gonna have a brooooooody. My last chicken that went broody plucked her belly. (they do it for skin contact on the eggs). I have 2 hens now that have plucked their bellies, but aren't broody yet.

Hummm I bet ya'll are right. But too bad I do not have a rooster
sad.png
no babies for me . I do remember finding feathers in the nest but a while back and she does not stay in the coop very long after she lays. Uh oh come to think of it I have not seen one of her eggs last couple days maybe I should check the yard for a hidden nest and the rest of her feathers.

Maybe I could get some fertilized eggs from someone and see if the is brody. That would be neat.

Back
Top Bottom