What happened to him?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ilovemyduckies, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    So, this morning, I went outside to feed my chickens. I went out and found one of my roosters sitting in the corner. I tried to get him to move, but he just looked at me. He couldn't stand up, and he could barely control his neck. I put him in a crate with a light and some food. I left for 10 minutes, and when I can back, he was dead. Can anyone tell what what happened and how to prevent it so it won't happen again. Please help! I am like crying my eyes out right now.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Have you been able to examine him for any wounds?

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I don't think there were any wounds. He's been perfectly healthy up until today.

4. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Birds are remarkably good at hiding disease, they tend to look and act normal right up until they are very seriously ill. Without a chance to record more subtle symptoms when he was still alive, they only way to know what happened to him would be to send him off for a necropsy. Many state universities or state veterinary labs will do this for a small fee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by