1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened to my chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 1337chicken, Oct 25, 2012.

1. 1337chicken

1337chicken New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    Ok. this is a bit graphic, but i want to know what happened. I found a dead chicken inside of the coop. She was outside all day. Her face was like, disfigured, her skull cracked open and all of the the feathers only from one side of her face. Like a perfect straight line all missing from her head and neck. She was (of course) covered in blood. But i don't think she died there. There were no feathers, sign of a struggle, and no blood where she lay. And in the coop, she was the only bantam, surrounded by a bunch of other bigger, juicer, slower chickens. And she didn't look like, all detangled. she was just laying on her side. what do you think killed her? I don't think It was an animal. There wern't ant teeth marks. only the cracked open skull

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hi, Welcome to BYC.....im sorry about the loss of your bantam.
    Im not sure what killed ur bird...do u think a thrown rock could have caused it.

3. 1337chicken

1337chicken New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    No, the feathers were like, totally stripped. Like, perfect symmetrical line down its face. I fear a human may have done it... but i live in pretty much scenic nowhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by