What happened to my silkies???? pics

happychickengirls

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Connecticut
So here is the story folks- Sometime in January I went to the poultry show with my daughter
and other chicken loving neighbor just to check it out mind you. After walking around and seeing
so many different kinds of beautiful birds they kind of worked on me to get a couple of birds. I honestly,
honestly went with the intention of NOT buying ANY birds. (But you know how
that goes right???
hmm.png
Anyway I figured if I could get a fancy polish I would buy that since I have
one already and shes kind of left out of the loop sometimes because she is a polish and the others arent.
So I really looked for a polish and they were their but it seems everyone wanted one that day because they
sold out fast. Next thing I know their is a women with a box of silkies for sale. My daughter putting on that
pout face of hers talks me into two baby silkies. (Because you know you dont want to raise just one all
alone)
wink.png
Okay I figure I will go for that since Silkies are tooo cute!!! Now it is Feb 12 and my chicks look
nothing like silkies and they are starting to crow like a rooster!!!!! :(Can anyone help identify what these are!!!!
And since I dont have any roosters can anyone tell me that if they are a rooster do they actually start to make
a crowing noise even at this age????
roll.png
I have raised five hens already and dont ever remember them
making these noises. So all I can say is I did learn my lesson about buying at the poultry shows. Make sure you
are buying from a reputable chicken folk!!!! I did pay 15.00 each for these birds . At the time I figured maybe okay
for a silkie- but now I feel like I was ripped off!!! Any thoughts on these birds would be appreciated. Thanks again
51786_img_0022.jpg

Last edited:
So the Seramas look different than the regular Silkies???? Or is maybe because they are rooters that they dont have
the furry head like most Silkies have????

I do agree, they look like Silkies mixed with Seramas. They won't get the fluffy head or beard like Silkies. But I'll bet they'll still be cute! Especially Serama roos. I love roosters, but can't really have them where I live.

That one on the left looks like a Silkied Serama. The other one may be split to silkie feathering. In this case, "silkie" is just a description of the feathering. Serama is the breed.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom