What happened to some of the old time people.

Oh, hi everyone. I used to be an old timer. Been sick for a bit but I am back. I sure have missed everyone and hope everyone is doing well. What are some of the changes I'm am hearing a bit about?

Great discussion!

I've been doing community forums / online discussion groups for a LONG LONG time! I've realized that attrition, especially in a topic-specific niche is very common. People leave online forums for TONS of reasons, for example: I used to be extremely active and passionate in a Hyundai Elantra online group, but over the years I lost interest in working on the car and thus also in the community.

BYC is, IMO, a little bit unique in the fact that many people come for chicken-specific information (often called the "interest graph") but then build friendships and hang aaround with their friends to chat, etc. (the "social graph"). This tends to help keep people active longer, but still isn't a guarantee that they will stick around indefinitely.

We love when the old-timers come back to visit. We have lots of great real friendships that develop over time!

I signed up about the time they changed the format of byc and at that time and shortly after there where some who dropped off simply because the format changed, some i am sure have had lifestyle changes that prevented them from returning such as not having the $$$$ to replace or repair computers pay for internet or had to work more so there is no time for leisure internet time. some may have gone off the grid or even have passed on or their health/family health prevents internet time here.

I was off BYC for 6 months due to computer problems, no sooner that was fixed I was on 2 months and I ended up in the hospital for about 2 weeks spread over a months time (one week then home for a week and a half and then another week). So I am sure there are other reasons for sure.

Back
Top Bottom