What happened to the price of feed?????

I won't even start on feeding horses! Alfalfa is up to $20 a bail! The ton pricing only save a buck or two a bail and with the price of gas its not even worth it!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Our local feed mill gets $8.50 for a 50# bag of layer mash. I belive $7 for whole corn and $7.50 or $8 for 50# cracked.

TSC gets about $14.50 for a bag of layer or a bag of 20% chick starter.

Quote:
The only difference is that the "powder" was not "glued" into either pellets or crumbles shape, that is all. Content is the same.

Here is what I do, and you can re-consider. Fill a bucket with the "powder" and give it a shot of water from the outdoor spigot. I give it a quick stir with a stick. Done. It is absolutely indistinguishable from crumbles. Honest!!! The hens love it. Cost? 3-5 bucks a bag less. Worth it to spend just a moment wetting and stirring? Absolutely to me.

That's something to think about...Thanks for the tip. I usually keep my feeders constantly filled, and I would worry about the food, since it was wet, becoming stale or rotting......

You mean it doesn't clump together?

Feed and chickens are just like food and kids; they eat best what they are use too.

Mine eat the mill feed (think flour) best because that is what they are use too. I also get feed from another mill that is peanut based. It contains pellets. My birds will nearly starve before they eat those pellets. What do I do? STOP FEEDING THEM UNTIL IT IS CLEANED UP. They'll learn to eat it and even like it after a week or two.

If you start them out on the mill feed (think flour) when young then there is no problem at all.

It's great feed. It's fresh. It's local. NO SHIPPING COST: also, it supports the local economy.

Quote:
Maybe you're right, but I bough feed from the local mill, and I didn't like the looks of it. It was just plain powdery! I don't think my flock liked it as much either.

That's exactly my issue:( I hate milled food..powdery! My food went from 9$ 5 years ago to 14.40$ a bag
wink.png
50 lbs...

Quote:
I never have paid taxes on feed. I'm surprised the government hasn't put a stop to helping producers

Farm lobby is large and strong in this country. I never expect to be taxed on feed.

From the point of view of "easy", well.... pellets are easy and hens like them well enough. But.... at these prices? I have no choice but to feed local mill "powder". I do mix it with a splash of water and the hens have no complaints whatsoever. Still, even if they bawked, (pun intended), If I have no choice, they have no choice either. I simply cannot raise egg prices high enough to compensate for rising feed costs. They'll eat the "home made crumbles" and be happy.

We're a registered farm, thus we pay no sales tax. Sales tax is a function of state government. We do pay income tax on farm income, of which eggs are a portion.

Last edited:
Quote:
I never have paid taxes on feed. I'm surprised the government hasn't put a stop to helping producers

Farm lobby is large and strong in this country. I never expect to be taxed on feed.

Where did I miss out on that? Grrr I'll have to look into it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom