What happened to the price of feed?????

I have been trying to find a mill near me. So far no luck. I paid 28 dollars for 100 lbs of layer yesterday. That is from a local feed store that has been her forever. I can get it a little cheaper when it goes on sale at Rural king, but I dont like the feed as well. They dont do as good on it. I think its probably older feed. If I could find a place that mills their own I would get it from there, so if anyone knows of a place around central Illinois let me know

Quote:
I never have paid taxes on feed. I'm surprised the government hasn't put a stop to helping producers

Producers don't gain anything by buyers not paying taxes on feed.....only the person buying gains anything.

I also buy from the local feed mill. Wasn't sure how well I would like the finer grind (powder) but the birds did fine once they got used to it. It's much cheaper and I have my own recipe that they mix up for me which I love because it gives me some control on what goes in the feed. Of course they don't do this for small orders - I get 500# every 2-3 weeks.

Quote:
That is one of the beauty's of the Mill, I failed to mention and a very important one at that: They will mix you feed for you to your specs if in large orders (generally 500 lbs or more). This is a great service and doesn't cost any extra.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Our local feed mill gets $8.50 for a 50# bag of layer mash. I belive $7 for whole corn and $7.50 or $8 for 50# cracked.

TSC gets about $14.50 for a bag of layer or a bag of 20% chick starter.

I've yet to find a " local" mill in AZ. They are all just feed stores as far as I can tell. I'm sure there ate some in rural towns but none in the metro area. I'd love to know where the mills are, even if I had to drive a ways, it would be worth it.

When oil prices go up, gas and diesel prices go up. When those prices go up, the cost of farming grains (especially corn) goes up. When there are droughts, floods, hail damage, etc, the supply of grains goes down - making the demand go up, and the price go up.

You can pretty much track grain prices right behind oil prices - you need to put gas in a tractor to make it run, and fields are fertilized with nitrogen that is cracked from natural gas. So a lot of it depends on oil and natural gas pricing.

Quote:
So the government should force companies to sell oil? Oil is a global market. If they felt they were going to make money on the oil they would sell it. Many companies in the past and today. Drill a well and discover that the production that oil would provide would not offset the cost of running it and adding the additional equipment that would be required to make it a production well. They then have two choices cap it in a way that they can later come back if technology or pricing increases to make it profitable or put a permanent cap on it which renders it useless (also the more expensive option). So they drill and put temporary caps on. This has been seen with the new steam technology. As price of oil has risen many old worn out well have been reopened and had steam injected in them to help release the oil.

But either way, the government has no place telling a business how much money to charge or how much product they must sell. That would be like saying you have a coin collection that you are holding on to so that it will be worth more later when you sell it. But the government should tell you that you can't because you aren't allowed to make money.

I agree the cost is going to go up due to both the drought and those that did not have a drought had flooding. All along the Mississippi there was flooding.
In addition the poster who noted the dollar has been weakening compared to world is right. Since these are global products their demand effects our prices.
The government does have blame here as regulation and increasing debt is part of why our dollar is weakening.

Back
Top Bottom