What happened?

3DLivestock

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 19, 2018
So this afternoon I went out to check for eggs. When i went out there, I found two eggs, completely normal, but then I had a hen laying in a nesting box. For this particular hen, I thought it was odd because she is not supposed to start laying till December. When I felt under her for eggs, there were two. One regular one, and another one that is small and squishy. I know for sure it’s not malnutrition because a couple weeks ago we had a hen start pecking eggs so we added oyster shells to their feed. Could this be just that she was blocked up and when she finally laid her egg, a smaller one that was not ready came out? Could it be that she is just not ready to lay eggs, so that’s why it came out deformed?

So this afternoon I went out to check for eggs. When i went out there, I found two eggs, completely normal, but then I had a hen laying in a nesting box. For this particular hen, I thought it was odd because she is not supposed to start laying till December. When I felt under her for eggs, there were two. One regular one, and another one that is small and squishy. I know for sure it’s not malnutrition because a couple weeks ago we had a hen start pecking eggs so we added oyster shells to their feed. Could this be just that she was blocked up and when she finally laid her egg, a smaller one that was not ready came out? Could it be that she is just not ready to lay eggs, so that’s why it came out deformed?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Adding oyster shell just ensures they have a source of calcium available IF they need it and won't have much effect on other nutritional needs. What is there feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? December is quite a ways off.. photo of your suspect and actual age?

Most often a soft egg in a NEW or returning layer is a hiccup of the reproductive system/shell gland coming online and working out it's kinks. A hen will sacrifice her own calcium from her own bones to lay hard eggs.

A hen pecking eggs.. either a happy accident from a soft or broken egg. Or a behavioral issue.. boredom. If malnutrition were suspect for egg eating it would likely be the protein or AMINO ACIDS that were missing in the diet and not calcium.. for informational purposes.

During this early phase all kinds of things can happen.. eggs can pass the shell gland too quickly, more than one follicle might be released at a time causing double or triple yolkers or more. Here is an interesting egg quality article, noting that disease is a possibility of many things but please don't focus on worrying about that in most instance..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Also, if there's something you really want feedback on.. pictures are hugely helpful.. take photos of every thing you question.. eggs, poop, birds, etc. and post for viewing. :)

I feed them nutrena egg layer pellets. They almost always have some kind of fruit or lettuce or something as a treat. I sometimes put the fruit on a string so they can figure it out. Other times I’ll put some sort of treat in a ice cubes and let the
Eat that as a treat. They have free range to grass and brush. I figured it was an accident the first time i saw a peck hole on the egg, but then I noticed it was happening almost every day. And I meant September not December

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom