What happened??

pixie74943

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
I had a pair of ISA browns that I thought were old, but looking back they were about 2years old, and they died.

They'd stopped laying for about 3months after a Tennis ball came over the fence and landed in their run.

As far as I could tell they were eating and drinking fine, then I went out to see them and Dawn, the older girl, wasnt moving, and when I touched her she fell over.

About a week later Dusk did the same thing, she was 'dead on her feet', fell over when I touched her, and when I came back to check on her (couple of hours) she was dead.

I didnt know at the time to bring them inside, warm them, feed them etc.. so I huddled them up in their nests (warm n comfy I thought) and came back to find them dead.

Any Ideas why this happened?? Really dont want it to happen again.

Wow, that is odd. I certainly hope someone can help out!
All I can think is that it was a strain on their heart, but birds have lived through animal attacks and tragic stuff like that!
Now seems as tho folks have some Isa brown issues, I do not know anything about them, but could this be a "weak" breed?
Someone with more knowledge should help you out in a short while, lots of smarties here!
Take care and so sorry to hear of your tragic situation.

I'm sorry but for some reason the whole "they stopped laying after a tennis ball came over the fence" made me laugh. Probably inappropriately. I can just see the hens out there, they're talking.. having a nice day, strolling about.. and then a tennis ball. Which to chickens, could be all sorts of alien badness. And they just absolutely freak out and halt all egg production. It's 4 am. I need to stop reading posts.
smile.png

Aside from the small humor in that, I'm sorry about your loss. Maybe they had something else wrong with them. I honestly have no idea. I hope any other chickens you have, or may get in the future, thrive better for you.

I wasnt home when the ball came over the fence, but my dad was. He says there was a large amount of squawking panicking and feathers going everywhere.

Its okay, I laughed when I heard too

I read on another thread that Isa Browns are about the best producer of brown eggs there is, that they were bred for this, and that they don't necessarily live very long, as commercial egg producers cull their hens after a year or two anyway. Perhaps they had a problem with their egg producing machinery, or perhaps a congenital heart problem. I can't believe the tennis ball thing was the cause, though it is a cute story. Sorry for your loss, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom