What happened?

Nigellas

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I was gone most of the weekend but my husband was caring for the ladies. He says he didn't notice this yesterday, but it is possible that he missed it...
Does this look like a small predator got to her, or is this what hen to hen pecking looks like? If it is hen pecking, what should I do? I've never seen them peck at each other, so it seems weird to me...

Is there anything I should do for her? It looks mostly superficial, not too deep, but I suppose infection might be a concern, as well as the fact that it's mighty cold and she's now got a big hole in her winter coat.

Thanks

backchick3.jpg

backchick.jpg

If it is an open wound, I would put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and/or spray with Blu-Kote. If you do a search for hen saddles, you will find patterns for a little saddle you can cut out of fleece that you can put over her to protect her while she heals.

Thanks, Gritsar- now more questions...
How can I stop this? I'm sure they are getting frustrated with all of the snow... What should I do for her medically if anything?

It does look like pecking. Usally that happens in the winter, when they spend more time in the coop and get cranky. Over crowding in the coop can really bring it out.

I suggest spraying her back with Blu-Kote and keeping a sharp eye on her and the others for pecking. If the coop is crowded, toss them out during the day. And don't leave a light on all night. (just in case you do) Make sure they're getting plenty of protein, too.

To stop it it might be because they are bored. I had one who was a selective feather picker and this is the spot where she had my cochin picked bald. If they are bored you might hang a head of cabbage, set out a few boxes (for them to hop on, sit on). Maybe hang a mirror low enough for them to see the "other chicken". String bread just over their heads so they have to hop to get to it... The more they are playing with other stuff the less they are pecking on one another.

Jenny

I agree with ranchhand. Toss em outside for awhile. If you have some more of that hay, spread some of it around outside, toss some BOSS (better) or some scratch (okay) around in the hay and give them something to do besides pick at each other.

Up their protein as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom