What happened?

I had this problem with my girls when they were young and had outgrown the tractor I was keeping them in. I put blu-kote on their backs and put saddles on them. Never had another problem.

The saddles were really easy to make - I just cut an oval/rectangle shape out of an old pair of blue jeans and cut two slits for the wings. They weren't as pretty as the saddles you can buy on here, but they functioned just as well.

Thanks everyone - To answer your questions, we don't have a rooster. And we do already feed a higher protein blend - any suggestions on other ways to up their protein? The photo of them is actually outside. Their run is covered so there is no snow and I do put down hay too, as you can see. Their coop is 5x4 for 4 of them, and the run is about 12x4 - they are able to free range in nice weather but won't go where there is snow, so they just stay in their run in winter.
I'll try your suggestions for boredom busting too. Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
Any food you can think of that is higher in protein - eggs, cheese, yogurt, canned fish (mackerel, tuna), dry cat food in smaller amounts. My chickens will hurt someone for string cheese.

I'm thinking predator on this one. That is a lot of feather picking from only 3 chickens in such a short amount of time. When I was dealing with feather pickers they woould pick right at the base of the tail and then move toward the middle of the back.

Have you checked for predator tracks in the snow? What type wiring is used in the run?

50499_000_0507.jpg

I have been reading all your posts and I think this is what is happening to my chickens as well. This one is the worst and there are signs of this on the Rooster as well so there must be some nasty head chickens out there. Thanks for all the terrific advice.

looks like pecking. I would check it and if open put neosporine or similar on it and get or make a saddle for her to allow it to heal . and give them something to do. Hang a cabbage toss some treats in a bunch of straw

Back
Top Bottom