1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what happened?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhodered10, Jul 13, 2011.

1. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    last night i noticed one of my laying hens (sweety) was looking very sick with her wings hanging very low her eyes shut and she was drinking alot of water but refused to eat and appeared to be in pain so i seperated her and decided to check up on her often thinking that it was just a bad egg she needed to pass and everytime i did check up on her she had what appeared to be eggs whites coming out of her vent along with some droppings, just thought it was all the water she had been drinking eventualy i had to stop checking up on her to go to sleep myself. this morning when i went to check on her she still seemed to be in pain and not feeling well but was looking a little bit better so i put bedding down and closed off a corner of our storage room with food and water for her, then several hours later i went out there to check on her again and i saw what looked like an egg membrane hanging out of her vent! i was shocked to say the least, it was a big membrane and it took a while for her to pass but she got it out and looked a bit better afterward, i looked at it and was shocked at how easily it could tear then out of no where the poor girl pops out a huge unfinished egg, it looked like some of that very same membrane was attached to it or at least stuck to it. i am very confused as to how this could have happened my best guess is that both of the eggs were loosely attached and one of them popped while the other was coming out. i would love to hear what everyone else thinks about this i would like to know if this has happened to anyone before and if anything could be done to prevent it from happening again.

p.s. sweety seems to be recovering now but is still acting a little broody, the poor girl!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I don't have a clue - I just know that sometimes things go haywire. My hens are about 5 1/2 months old and all are laying. However, the other day one of them was running along and out plopped a double-yolked, shelless egg with this marble-sized round white thing attached. The only thing I could figure was that the round white thing was supposed to be the shell! Strangest looking thing. Got one double-yolked egg a couple of days later then everything settled down and all are normal! Wierd...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by