What happens if chickens eat wood pellets

Are they eating large quantities?

Chickens explore the world with their beaks, so they peck everything, and usually try eating a bit of every new thing. They are usually pretty good at deciding what is good ot eat and what is not.

I would probably make sure they have plenty of water and food, with grit available so their gizzards can grind anything they do eat, and not worry unless they are really eating a lot of it.

Are they eating large quantities?

Chickens explore the world with their beaks, so they peck everything, and usually try eating a bit of every new thing. They are usually pretty good at deciding what is good ot eat and what is not.

I would probably make sure they have plenty of water and food, with grit available so their gizzards can grind anything they do eat, and not worry unless they are really eating a lot of it.
Not seen them eat "lots", but the times I am there and saw them it caused me concern not knowing how much they are eating when no one is with them?
Just recently decided I wouldn't use any straw. Had long since removed straw use on the floor but still put it in the nests. To experiment with wood pellets vs stall dry pellets... have 4 boxes and did 2 boxes of each. A layer of pellets with a layer of pine shavings on top. (Which was recommended for me to do) the hens would peck at them in both types. Sometimes spitting them back and sometimes not? Hubby thought it was curiosity cause it was new .. then said..""they are bored sitting there waiting on an egg... maybe they use those pellets like a stick to bite on the cowboys used to take out bullets) UGH he thinks he is amusing??
My concern was if they even swallowed a few that could be enough to harm them?? They have access to lots of feed and lots of fresh water as well as free range a few hours everyday.. longer some days. Thanks for your help! I had removed all pellets until I got some advice here! Appreciate you response!

Hubby thought it was curiosity cause it was new .. then said..""they are bored sitting there waiting on an egg... maybe they use those pellets like a stick to bite on the cowboys used to take out bullets) UGH he thinks he is amusing??
🤣

The wood pellets I got were made with pressure only (technically, moisture and pressure) and had no binders. A few of that kind won't hurt chickens. A few of other kinds (if there are other kinds) probably won't but I'm less sure

Is their feed also pellets? Or has it been? If so, how different are they in size, shape, and color?

We use pellets as an underlayer beneath shavings in the coop, to help keep things dry in our humidity. Never had an adult chicken develop any problems from bedding consumption, that seems solely the territory of young chicks.
In any case it's a good idea to make sure they have all day access to fresh water just in case they swallowed something so absorbent.

Back
Top Bottom