What has been the best (life) advice anyone has ever given you?

several...

'Don't try to UNDERSTAND algebra, just do it.' My dad. He's right.

'Don't worry about they do, worry about you.' My husband to my children. He's right.

'Father God, I thank You for Your word, for Your word is true. And I believe it is going to change my life today. I am more than victorious, I am more than a conqueror!' said every week by Pastor Tom. He's right.

'Sometimes you just have to eat ice cream for dinner.' My great-grandmother. She's right.

'Mom, you should make one giant cinnamon roll and then we can eat it like a cake!' My daughter to me. (chickensnatcher) She's right.

edited for a spelling error!

Last edited:
I can't remember the circumstances or what the situation was at the time, but it was a moment when I was upset about something when I was a teenager. Whatever, a total stranger walked up to me and told me to consider the fact that no matter how much money you have, you can only eat one meal at a time, and you can only sleep in one bed at a time. For some reason that just really stuck with me and brought me some modicum of happiness in life from that moment on. As long as I can have a meal everyday that I enjoy eating and a comfortable bed to sleep in at nigh, what the heck...

EDIT: Something else occurred when I was a teenager, I read the following poem by anonymous in the newspaper, cut it out, and kept it for years because I knew so many people with no direction in their life, and I made up my mind that I wouldn't look back and see myself when I got old as having been that way and never having taken a stand.

He went all around life, far and wide
Looking in windows and turning aside
All around the world where a man may roam
Noting its strangeness and never came home
There was no part of living but what he knew
He went all around life, but he never went through.

Last edited:
"Gratitude is an attitude not a destination."

A homeless dude waiting to get into a shelter. Really stuck with me.
cool.png

One day at a time.

Overlooked as trite today however, it is very, very wise.

"Seriously? You are simply not that important."

Very wise woman who helped me see that all the stuff I saw as being about me - other people's attitudes, the way people treated me - was about them, not me. Very liberating!

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Overlooked as trite today however, it is very, very wise.

"Seriously? You are simply not that important."

Very wise woman who helped me see that all the stuff I saw as being about me - other people's attitudes, the way people treated me - was about them, not me. Very liberating!

LOVE IT!

My Mothers advice was never tell people what to do, ask them. Seems a good rule to live by. Works for me.

My Fathers advice was treat everyone how you want to be treated. You will be old someday!!

If it doesn't directly affect you, don't get involved or worry about it.

Best advice I ever received. I think often of the supervisor who said those words to me once when I observed something going on that was wrong.

The night before she died of lung cancer, my mom told me to

"do what you want to do in life. But before you act on the choice, remember that you have to pay the price. Sometimes the price benefits you and sometimes it is a high price. Be sure you are willing to take responsibility for what you do and not blame others for your choices."

My mom was referring to the fact that she knew the risks of smoking and chose to do it anyway knowing the price she might pay. And she did. She was 2 months from retirement when she died after a 3 week illness. Now when I think about something, her words come to me and I stop and weigh my options.

Miss you Mom!

I've seen this (or said similarly) many times before....

"Be nice to me....Some day I might be your nurse"

Well my youngest daughter (she's 7) told me the other day....

"Mom you better be nice to me, cuz someday I might have to change your diaper.....And I just might NOT".....
gig.gif
She wanted something and I told her she couldnt' have it cuz she wasn't listening....

Love the "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!" saying.

Honestly though I have read, seen, been told some wonderful things from many wonder and not so wonderful people...
Somethings stick, others kinda fly over my head at times and then come back and kick me in the butt....
barnie.gif

I posted this on here before(not that long ago), but it's so true for me....The first time I heard it was from Jason's mental health doctor at the VA (he has PTSD and TBI--tramatic brain injury)..Sorry it's kinda long...but it's got good advice....

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 Beers.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was..

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous ' yes. '

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed..

' Now, ' said the professor as the laughter subsided, ' I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things---your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car. The sand is everything else---the small stuff.

If you put the sand into the jar first, ' he continued, ' there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.

The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18.

There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented.

The professor smiled and said, ' I ' m glad you asked. '

The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there ' s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

Back
Top Bottom