What hath God wrought/or what has Jimmy done???

Pics
I can dissect a human cadaver
You've been thru medical school?
Only place I can think where one would dissect a human cadaver.

Here's some basic guidelines on coop design:
Minimum of 4sqft of floor space per bird in coop, 10sqft in run.
12" of roost length per bird.
1 nest per every 3-4 birds.
If you can't build yourself, a prefab shed is a good way to go.
In your climate you want more mesh walls than solid walls.

Great encouragement and advice. I've debated about connecting the two coups but they don't lend themselves to be joined side by side due to the doors, trays, etc. Are you saying add nine nesting boxes to the six I already have? And you converted your coop by enclosing the "run" (the wired in section which already has a roof but is not enclosed by wooden walls--it's "walls" are that hard rabbit wire with doors that open for cleaning, etc. if needed) off of the nesting boxes that are enclosed? That would mean both coops would be totally enclosed with wooden sides and all I'd need to do is add a covered wire run??? Yeah, you guessed right...science is my forte, not engineering!!! I can dissect a human cadaver but am hard pressed to put up a straight wall! Thanks so very much for your very good advice. Jimmy
I don't think you need more nests. Thet reccomend 1 nest for 4-5 birds so you're good there. Indoor walk about room is recommended at 4sqft/bird. That does not include nesting area. Having altered my coop I've done the math. I'll include a link so you can see what I did with one coop. Put a longer roost bar in the upstairs, connect the ends in the back right corner and the left front corner as you are looking in through the front upstairs door. Position it about 6 inches above the floor. By doing this to your 2 coops you have doubled the space. You should get through winter ok as it holds about 8 in each, possibly 1-2 more but its only temporary. As you've already noted, the wood is crap and it won't last forever. Spend winter planning so in spring you can build a bigger proper coop. Keep these coops for emergencies, sick rooms, nurseries, introduction time, whatever coops.
Here's my coop alterations:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/altering-my-terrible-ts-coop.1267790/

Back
Top Bottom