What have we here?

Sparkky

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 29, 2014
North Florida

They're all between 5 and 6 weeks old. I got them from a coworker. She asked what I wanted and I told her surprise me, that I wanted standard and bantam size. I love frying up three little eggs to top one piece of toast (even if my husband won't eat the "mutant eggs") ;)
When I got them at 3 wks she mentioned silkie, frizzle and sizzle all in the same breathe. She said she wasn't sure cause of everything she had hatched out.
Top left is wispy (silkie?), top right is smooth, vaulted skull (smooth sizzle? ).
I know the middle two are brahmas. I'm thinking the one on the left is a roo, he's much slower to feather, middle right is almost fully feathered.
Bottom right is smooth, bottom left is wispy, both have vaulted skulls. All six have feathers on their feet. Top two and bottom two have black skin and 5 toes.
I'm hoping the one brahma is the only male but the little black one might be too. I know they're probably to young to tell yet.
Thanks

I agree with you that the one brahma is a roo. I can't really see the black one's combs so I can't say for sure on gender with it. The others appear to be pullets.

Update; everyone's 4 months this week. Zaxby is my suspect roo, though he's shown no inclination to crow or mount anyone. Sunny is looking and acting very roo-ish lately. S/he grabbed the little black Bleu by the neck and covered her briefly this morning which I haven't seen before today. I'm sure he just stood on her and didn't actually do anything so it could have just been female dominance? But her comb is very large and red. ..
Yaki was almost eaten by a very large pine snake 2 weeks ago, I thought she was dead when I went out to check everyone around lunch time and found her coiled and blue of tongue. I wacked the tail of the snake, which was nearest me and not wrapped around her, and the snake let her go, I don't think any part of her was in his mouth. I tried chopping the snake as it went up and over the fence but it was way too fast. I ran back and, crying cause she was my first death of the clutch, picked up the limp body of Yaki, who promptly gasped, let out a horrible racket and burrowed her head under my arm.
Omg, I'm a friend to snakes and have turned a blind eye to the occasional missing egg from my two adult hens but that's it for the pine snakes. Yaki is almost as tall as my hens, she just needs to do a little filling out and I'd consider her a standard size chicken. She's as big as my little dog. .. nope, those snakes have found themselves on a hit list.
When do bantam size pullets start laying? Bleu has started going off and sitting while everyone else is scratching, but I thought it took longer for silkie and silkie-x's to start laying.
Thanks in advance for listening and for advice :)

Zaxby definitely looks like a rooster. I think that Sunny is too, but a closer picture of "him" would help. All of the others look like pullets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom