What Have You Learned About Poultry Since Joining BYC?

I was walking today in the village, and saw a young chicken standing in someones front door. I ran home, grabbed some ivermectin, and treated it for worms and saved its life. Where I live people just let their chickens die and have no idea how or where it died. They lose flocks of adult chickens and think it's because of a plague.

I came to BYC seeking answers to why chickens are dying. When I finally joined, the original disease I was treating was botulism. But since joining I have successfully treated Cocci and Fowl Pox too, which I have to live with in my flock. I can better deduce why chickens are sick. My own flock has improved from my hens losing entire broods, to hens not even losing single chicks and they grow up to be adults. I've fixed their medications, feeds, coops, and natural remedies all from BYC info.

I have lost a lot of chickens from silly and treatable reasons before I started to take it seriously and BYC was the starting point of a serious desire to raise healthy chickens. Now I am in a position to educate others around where I live, not just online but I do like the challenge of helping other strangers online diagnose their birds. Every thread I learn something new about what is the best course of action to treat a bird and why what I thought before is sometimes wrong.

Here is my first sick chicken I rescued, I only prolonged his life as he was unable to eat by himself. Before I joined BYC, he died of complications from cocci because I never figured out how to help him even by asking vets and other people. He lived with me for two months before he died, but he never got better because I didn't have BYC. I pumped him full of antibiotics, but he just kept getting worse. My love kept him alive but sadly I lacked the knowledge to cure him before I came to BYC. Now I am in a position to help my neighbors with their sick chickens too.

20210515_024056.jpg

BYC from the very beginning has always been my source for helping my chickens when a situation comes up in which maybe they aren't doing well. Many years ago my best friend was a member here and had me join on (long since forgot the name/login) and myself/family rescued a hen who was left at a shelter after being attacked by dogs. BYC helped me learn how we could care for and rehabilitate the hen, and she pulled through AND even started laying again later down the road. She had a happy life thanks to all those tips. Fast forward to now, I am sure I've saved a few hens thanks to BYC. When my dear girl Wally started getting lethargic, not eating, and some other signs....a very helpful person here helped me decode her to having sour crop and I as able to immediately get her treated and have her feeling better thanks to that. The quick responses from people who know their stuff has always been a helpful miracle.

I was walking today in the village, and saw a young chicken standing in someones front door. I ran home, grabbed some ivermectin, and treated it for worms and saved its life. Where I live people just let their chickens die and have no idea how or where it died. They lose flocks of adult chickens and think it's because of a plague.

I came to BYC seeking answers to why chickens are dying. When I finally joined, the original disease I was treating was botulism. But since joining I have successfully treated Cocci and Fowl Pox too, which I have to live with in my flock. I can better deduce why chickens are sick. My own flock has improved from my hens losing entire broods, to hens not even losing single chicks and they grow up to be adults. I've fixed their medications, feeds, coops, and natural remedies all from BYC info.

I have lost a lot of chickens from silly and treatable reasons before I started to take it seriously and BYC was the starting point of a serious desire to raise healthy chickens. Now I am in a position to educate others around where I live, not just online but I do like the challenge of helping other strangers online diagnose their birds. Every thread I learn something new about what is the best course of action to treat a bird and why what I thought before is sometimes wrong.

Here is my first sick chicken I rescued, I only prolonged his life as he was unable to eat by himself. Before I joined BYC, he died of complications from cocci because I never figured out how to help him even by asking vets and other people. He lived with me for two months before he died, but he never got better because I didn't have BYC. I pumped him full of antibiotics, but he just kept getting worse. My love kept him alive but sadly I lacked the knowledge to cure him before I came to BYC. Now I am in a position to help my neighbors with their sick chickens too.

View attachment 2670408
Awww you saved it? Are you sure that's a chicken ir a turken?

Back
Top Bottom