What Have You Learned About Poultry Since Joining BYC?

Pics

SnapdragonQ

It's coffee o'clock!
Feb 2, 2020
VA
1615169331382.png

As an avid reader and learner, BYC has been my go to place for information for many many years on all things poultry! 🐓 🦃 🦚 🦆 🐔 🐤 🐣 🥚

What to do, what not to do, how to handle this situation, or that one. What have other people tried that I could also try, who can I ask for help when I am all out of ideas, and best of all....those who can understand exactly that Christmas morning feeling of excitement when finding new eggs in the nest boxes!

BYC is a wonderful community for learning, sharing, and hanging around other poultry people who just get you.
1614912662817.gif

So, what have you learned about poultry? It can be anything, we want to know!

Last edited:
I've learned to take a deep breath and not freak out when it comes to a chicken illness. I love my chickens a whole heck of a lot, and I tend to overreact when one seems a little underweight, sneezes, etc. :)

Also, @casportpony 's dosing guides for wormers, etc. are great! Very helpful for when I wormed my girls for the first time.

Edited to add: I truly love this community so, so much. It's always warm and welcoming, extending a helping hand and comforting in hard times.

As an avid reader and learner, BYC has been my go to place for information for many many years on all things poultry! 🐓 🦃 🦚 🦆 🐔 🐤 🐣 🥚

What to do, what not to do, how to handle this situation, or that one. What have other people tried that I could also try, who can I ask for help when I am all out of ideas, and best of all....those who can understand exactly that Christmas morning feeling of excitement when finding new eggs in the nest boxes!

BYC is a wonderful community for learning, sharing, and hanging around other poultry people who just get you. View attachment 2555342

So, what have you learned about poultry? It can be anything, we want to know!
I have learned how much I did NOT know before I came here! It has been a humbling experience to say the least. I'm truly grateful for the generosity and kindness of the knowledgeable and experienced people here who do not criticize or judge, but only want to share and help. My hat is off to them. They know who they are! ❤❤❤❤❤

Last edited:
A LOT.
The difference between Cuckoo Maran chicks and Barred rock chicks (I know, I know, kinda dumb, but don't judge me, I sucked and still suck at that stuff)
The difference between a Colombian Rock and Light Brahma (What a newbie I was)
The difference between an Ameraucana and an Americana (So offensive, I'm sorry @JadeFarms and @EmmaRainboe)
How to tell certain breeds from other breeds in general (I'm getting better!)
Hatching conditions, brooding conditions, SOP and quality of breeds.
Sicknesses and when to assist hatching chicks.
How to sex chicks accurately.
Different types of chickens: Broiler, Layers, Dual-purpose, Happy Mommas, etc.
Build don't shop!

AND SO MUCH MORE! This website is AWESOME! The community is great and lovable and kind. I appreciate all of the amazing people in our community! We have been getting quite a bit of trolls recently, though...

I've learned a little bit of everything. Learned a TON about tube feeding and dosing meds. About illness in general. (Thank you @casportpony @Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive!)

I've learned more about chicken genetics than I ever thought I'd know. I'm also a slow learner in that department. Thankfully @The Moonshiner is a patient man. ❤

I've also learned so much that's not even chicken related. Absolutely love learning and love this community! If you're not learning a little something every day, you're doing it wrong. 😉

Back
Top Bottom