What Have You Learned About Poultry Since Joining BYC?

Big Blue said it all for me
I have learned how much I did NOT know before I came here! It has been a humbling experience to say the least. I'm truly grateful for the generosity and kindness of the knowledgeable and experienced people here who do not criticize or judge, but only want to share and help. My hat is off to them. They know who they are! ❤❤❤❤❤

Big Blue said it all for me
I have learned how much I did NOT know before I came here! It has been a humbling experience to say the least. I'm truly grateful for the generosity and kindness of the knowledgeable and experienced people here who do not criticize or judge, but only want to share and help. My hat is off to them. They know who they are! ❤❤❤❤❤
@Craig Cowan @BigBlueHen53 you stole what I was going to say. :love

I would like to give a special shout out to those who took me under their wing, when I first got here. I learned so very much from them (sorry if I leave anyone out)
@Conan
@Kiki
@Overo Mare
@R2elk
@casportpony
@sourland
@muddy75
@room onthebroom
@electrycmonk
@The Moonshiner
@sealer39
@007Sean
I know I have left people out, there were so many when I joined who were willing to explain and answer my questions (no matter how newbe they were) with kindness and a willingness to teach. I feel I was very lucky to have found these great people.

I've learned a little bit of everything. Learned a TON about tube feeding and dosing meds. About illness in general. (Thank you @casportpony @Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive!)

I've learned more about chicken genetics than I ever thought I'd know. I'm also a slow learner in that department. Thankfully @The Moonshiner is a patient man. ❤

I've also learned so much that's not even chicken related. Absolutely love learning and love this community! If you're not learning a little something every day, you're doing it wrong. 😉

I've been on here for almost 11 years now. I can't even begin to post all that I've learned from folks here. Not only have I learned a lot of what I know about chickens, but I've come to love, yes love, members on here. This place can be my come to place to share fun things, to tease and know I'll be fine doing just that, and sometimes I need to vent about life's goings on. There's always someone that will offer up a prayer or ask...what can I do for you? This is a wonderful Community. 💞

BYC people have given me so much knowledge and even a few laughs along the way! I also love seeing others photos and sharing mine.
Through BYC I've saved my chicken's lives with people's encouragement and taking me through steps how to do bumble foot surgery and deal with varies other chicken problems. Also emotional support when I have lost one or need to put one down.
Thanks to everyone on here that makes this website happen and thanks to all who share their great experience and knowledge with me! :love

Pretty much everything I know about chickens has come from BYC! So much knowledge condensed into easy to access threads! I truly love everything BYC has to offer.
I so agree! I can very easily say that I would not have been able to come as far as I have, and as knee-deep in poultry as I am without BYC. Three cheers for the best chicken/duck/goose/turkey/quail/dove/pigeon website in the world :love:love:bow:highfive:👏👏👏
Just wanted to add, something mind-blowing I learned the other day is, "Leghorn" isn't pronounced "Leg-horn" but actually like "Leggern." Foghorn Leghorn has lied to you your whole life.

Also (not recent, but something I learned and will hold onto forever) "Marans" is french and is spelled "Marans" with an 's' whether it is singular or plural. Same with "Faverolles."
Yep. Just when’s I thought my life wasn’t a lie

...I will also say that before BYC I thought it was pronounced “favorell” not favor-olle

Last edited:
Just wanted to add, something mind-blowing I learned the other day is, "Leghorn" isn't pronounced "Leg-horn" but actually like "Leggern." Foghorn Leghorn has lied to you your whole life.

Also (not recent, but something I learned and will hold onto forever) "Marans" is french and is spelled "Marans" with an 's' whether it is singular or plural. Same with "Faverolles."
I knew the second one but that first one I’m not Sure I can accept. Speaking of which, I thought Wyandotte was pronounced “Why-An-Dowte” and not “Why-An-Dott.” For The longest time. 🙈

Last edited:
Basically all of my chicken knowledge is from BYC. Breeds, sexing, coop requirements, chicken medical help, integration tactics, caring for chicks, how eggs work, a bit of genetics, even random facts like the fact that chicken feathers are almost entirely made out of protein. I've even learned a bit about hatching, and I've never hatched eggs or hung out in the hatching forum!

Back
Top Bottom