What have you repurposed while building ?

Pics
Wait 'til you get a good snow cover on the ground, then about dusk turn on a yellow light in the coop.
You want to be Mr. Currier, or Mr. Ives; your choice.:D
I’ll have to see if I can find the only snow picture we’ve had here. I don’t think it’s what you’d call cover. But it would be a cool picture, if we ever got snow.

I use similar containers for treats, crushed egg shells, etc.
Here it is. I drilled the lid and put together last night. Wasp are already taken to it.
98F7C6D7-4936-426D-83A4-382FBECE2AF8.jpeg

The top is a reused fly trap from a disposable fly trap. Use plastic gloves if making something like this

unfort
Hubby doesn't like to take me to the dump with him. He gets rid of the trash, and I bring home new... um... treasures. I need a barn to keep my treasure stash in. He gives me the stink eye when I start tossing stuff in the truck. But, he will also admire it when I find a particularly nice stash. Last dump haul: 1 x 3 x 12' strapping, never used, 8 pieces. I've also brought home a stack of new finished lumber varying from 1 x 4 - 1 x 10 each piece almost 4' long, good quality pine, almost knot free. The door and windows) in my coop (you can see the coop in my interview listed in my signature came from the town dump. I have enough storm windows and patio door storm panels to make a nice start on a stick built green house. Old metal swing sets make wonderful trellises in the garden. We put one in the chicken run to support the truss system to their sun room.

Unfortunately, dumps in our area of NC have signs all over the place (& staff that seems to always enforce it when I go) stating "No dumpster diving" & no removal of others' trash. :( Some of the things I've seen dumped would be EXCELLENT for reuse.

I recycle LOTS of things. This year - working on a yard fence of wood pallets, some free & some purchased. Hay string from both small square bales & round bales (different types of string & thickness), feed bags, re-use wire, plastic bottles. Sheets that had been donated to our spay/neuter clinic but were being thrown away - I brought 3 huge trash bags full (hubby MAD, but it's worked well for these apps, LOL). Here's current photos showing some of the things I've done recently.

Not all of it is finished - some put up "fast & dirty" to allow me to leave for a family death up in MT when the chicks still too small & going right thru the wire...

180608_185543.jpg 180608_192015.jpg 180608_192046.jpg 180629_124251.jpg 180629_124936.jpg

I keep & use haystring A LOT. The pens below show where I've used a Boye plastic loom (walmart, michaels, amazon) and made "panels" that I then "stitched" onto the rabbit pens. Then before fully attaching, slide folded plastic feed bags under (started w/ cardboard - but humidity & rain made it moldy) for wind & rain protection. These are rabbit cages from TSC - 36x36x?tall.

180629_125437.jpg 180629_193817(1).jpg
This is the larger pen for the Orpingtons & bantamXs. I opened out the feed bags, cut it into equal strips (4 per bag - while watching a series on NetFlix during the hottest part of the day) and then "stitched" end to end w/ a rug needle and haystring (outside in the shad of a large tree not showing in the middle picture). Then "stitched" to the 2x4 fencing... The bantams can no longer go thru below, but the little buggers have figured out flying, so now we are catching them on an almost daily basis and putting them back in the pen...

180629_125023.jpg 180705_095514.jpg 180705cu_095514.jpg

Have to get out side now - and will be building wood frames to put the 2x4 fencing on - panels that can be taken apart to be stored same sizes so can do rectangles w/ a roof to keep them from flying out...

Also make pony equipment & crochet usable in/outdoor slippers from the haystring

Edited to add - this thread blew up!!! I haven't finished checking out all the projects yet. Will do that tonite, tomorrow... & post other/better pics of some of our re-use projects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom