1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what height....?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cameron, Jul 8, 2011.

1. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    At what height does a pigeon sky out in clear conditions?

Turned my tipplers out today and as I was picking tomatos and peppers in the garden, I looked up and they were just gone...

After a few minutes, I finally saw tiny dots, so small I couldn't even see wings flapping. Later they disappeared from view again and they're still up.

Usually they only go up about 100ft. But at what height does a bird "sky out" or become less than visible to the naked eye? I was told by one guy that it was about 1500ft but I was curious what other people thought?

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yes, they will get 1,000ft plus. It just depends on the breed, their health/fitness, and their motivation. My homers will get up pretty high early in the morning when its cool and they will fly for a long time. In the evening, it's hotter and they don't want to get up as high. Then when a hawk hits, they often get as high as your birds do. It's a good strategy because they can outfly hawks and falcons in level flight. It's the diving that gives the predators an advantage. So the higher the birds are, the less likely a hawk/falcon will be able to come diving down at them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by