what height....?

cameron

Songster
9 Years
Sep 5, 2010
At what height does a pigeon sky out in clear conditions?

Turned my tipplers out today and as I was picking tomatos and peppers in the garden, I looked up and they were just gone...

After a few minutes, I finally saw tiny dots, so small I couldn't even see wings flapping. Later they disappeared from view again and they're still up.

Usually they only go up about 100ft. But at what height does a bird "sky out" or become less than visible to the naked eye? I was told by one guy that it was about 1500ft but I was curious what other people thought?

Yes, they will get 1,000ft plus. It just depends on the breed, their health/fitness, and their motivation. My homers will get up pretty high early in the morning when its cool and they will fly for a long time. In the evening, it's hotter and they don't want to get up as high. Then when a hawk hits, they often get as high as your birds do. It's a good strategy because they can outfly hawks and falcons in level flight. It's the diving that gives the predators an advantage. So the higher the birds are, the less likely a hawk/falcon will be able to come diving down at them.

Back
Top Bottom