What I found in the Henhouse today: The Enormous Egg

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by peeppeeppeep, Sep 3, 2009.

1. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    On the left, a banty egg. Center: a regular EE egg. And on the right, at almost 4 ounces....the champeen!

I kept looking around to see if someone was playing a trick on me with a goose egg! LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Whoa! Looks like you will be having omelet for breakfast.

3. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    crack it open.. mine was a three yolker.. and someones big one was an egg inside an egg.. wonder what you will get

4. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Oooow! That HAD to hurt!!!

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    o_O o_O Great googly moogly!! Bockeeeeeekkkk!

6. swdunn0926

swdunn0926 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Fayetteville
    Watch that hen, my EE layed a few like that and ended up bound. Had to give her a warm bath and massage olive oil and her rear twice a day for 4 days until she got better! She just started laying about month or so ago! She was a sad sight all bow legged and her butt popped out! But Ava is doing fine. Her sisters never left her side the whole time. And yes they are the Gabor sisters...Ava, Eva, and Zsa Zsa! Best of luck!

7. peeppeeppeep

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    Hey wildorchid, I saw your triple yolker. I had no idea that was even possible! It'll be interesting to see what's inside. I think my 7 year old is going to take it to school to show the kids first.

swdunn0926, thanks for the warning. I never even thought of that. The top was all wrinkly so it looked like it must have taken some effort to pop that baby out. I'll have to keep an eye on her and watch for the symptoms you describe. Poor hen!

8. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely an "OOOO!!! AAAAAH!!" moment for that hen!! Poor baby! That just had to hurt to lay that monster! I love getting the double yolks, but not at the expense of my girls health. But what can you do? [​IMG] It's nature at her weirdest. Hope she doesn't make a habit of such large eggs. What breed is the hen that laid this ginormous egg anyhow? Inquiring minds want to know! [​IMG]

9. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Wow!

10. peeppeeppeep

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    Serrin, it was one of my Easter Eggers (sold as Ameraucanas from McMurray). Those eggs are actually all pale green in real life.

We used to get LOTS of double yolkers when the hens were younger but haven't seen any for a couple of months. I sure wish I knew which hen it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by