1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What if power goes out....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horseshowmomnv, Feb 29, 2012.

1. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    What does everyone do if the power goes out and you have young chicks that need the heat lamp?

2. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Heat up water bottles and put them into their brooder. Cover the brooder to keep heat in. The chicks will huddle together. Continue to heat up water.

1 person likes this.
  3. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Thank you, did not think about heat lamps for the babies til the lights flickered this a.m. from the storm. YIKES!

4. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    I was thinking the same thing early this morning as the wind was tearing through the valley here. No chicks in the brooder yet, but I had the heat running overnight to see how well it would hold the temp.

Thankfully, I have a generator ready to go as well as a battery/inverter that would likely power the heat lamp for several hours at least, although I will need to test it to be sure.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    What if you have a well and need electricity to run water? Last year the power went out and I almost lost a chick she was upside down in the water container once I found her I thought she was dead but wasn't so I grabbed all the chicks and huddled them on me with a blanket. To keep them warm.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I lose power all the time during winters (did just a couple days ago) usually for at least an hour, two hours, sometimes over 10 hours and honestly? I just keep them in a warm area. We have a woodstoves, so if possible I keep their brooder (simple cardboard box) nearby for warmth. If not that, then I cover the brooder with blankets, towels, whatever. The chick's body heat should build up in there. Haven't lost a chick yet to any of our power outages, except two one cold winter that were outside. Had a heatlamp in the coop, power went out in the middle of the night, it was 20 degrees out, and two died from suffocation/trampling.

Inside the house though, the only thing I worry about is my incubator(s).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by