Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
Nifty,

Have you ever considered another sister site to BYC?

I know you have EasyGarden, SelfSufficient, and Backyard Cows, What if you had a site that could cover the following areas:

Social
Forum Topics Posts Last post
New Member Introductions
1768 24270
There are new posts
Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates
831 19345
Where am I? Where are you!
985 51656
Hobbies
Arts, Crafts, Sports, Collecting, Hobby-Swaps, etc.
499 28241
Games, Jokes, and Fun!
1311 66605
Chickenstocks, Shows & Swaps
1278 32037
Random Ramblings
12503 270934
Miscellaneous
Waterfowl - Ducks, Geese, Swan, etc.
3452 30954
Other Fowl - Turkeys, Pigeons, Doves, Quail, etc.
3231 32328
Other Pets & Livestock
4709 70843
Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes
1510 22698

The above is just a sampling but most have very little to do with BackYard chickens.

On the top line there could be a link to that site that would mirror this site, but none of those posts would show up in the recent posts, same would be true of the sister site it would have a link to BYC that deals only with Chickens? Going through recent posts, you really have to do a bunch of sorting to get to the chicken posts anymore. I love other animals, but I get tired of goat posts for example... just one more title to read that I'm not going to click on.

You could call the sister site "Nifty's Nook" or "BYC Social" or "The Feed Lot" or "Chicken Run" or "Free Range" ... you could have a contest to name it. If it's hooked to the site, you could still advertise and I can see it being a run away success.

Just a thought, what think ye all?

Last edited:
So....this is basically BYC just without the chickens. Cool !!
smile.png

Hmmmm... Somehow it just wouldn't be the same! I agree that I am mostly interested in chickens, but hey, I just don't click on the goat, horses and whatever threads if I'm not interested. There are so many interesting threads here that I don't have time to read them all. It's kind of neat discovering I have the same experiences that others have even if it isn't directly related to chickens. So you are saying to have a seperate website with no chicken talk... and I suspect you would not visit that site? Now that's a serious chicken addict!
lol.png

Interesting concept, but I have to agree that what makes BYC so special is the camaraderie and life sharing and fun we have.

Thare are lots of forums that are "just chicken" and they are sterile and while full of info, I doubt anyone cares about anyone else on a level that doesn't include chickens or shows or breeds.
Just the facts. And that's no fun. You can buy a book for that and save the money having the internet.

This is my personal opinion and doesn't imply agreement by BYC, it's owners and subsidiaries.

This is the ONLY website I actually spend hours on daily. I wait all day long til everyone's in bed and I can come and read the day's posts.
I did originally come here for the chicken info when I first got my new chicks but now I also come here to hear about all the other different animals people have that also have chickens. I've learned about canning and bought a pressure cooker to start that this summer, and enough about goats that we are adding those next.
I've got recipes galore and now my family isn't bored with supper anymore. MsPrissy's yogurt has taken over at least a day on the weekends(I try to make at least 2-3 batches) and everyone else's ideas on crafts,coops, and just general animal husbandry just keep me constantly imagining all that can be done in those aspects.
The variety is why I've enjoyed the list so much and it's not gotten old and stale. I love hearing about what's going on with everyone, praying for folks--and just general great comraderie that lifts me up when some days the world around us just plain stinks.
Please don't change anything too much. This forum rocks!

Back
Top Bottom