What in the heck kind of bugs are all over my coop

Yep, it's a beetle but I have no idea of what kind....tagging @aart
Might be a longhorn beetle? or another wood boring beetle.
Entomologist here, they aren't beetles, they are nymphs of some kind of true bug (suborder Heteroptera). They don't look quite right for stink bug or leaf-footed bug nymphs, but are likely related to those. See my other comment for more info.

Hi there, I am an entomologist and a chicken keeper. The insects in the photo are nymphs of one of the "true bugs" (suborder Heteroptera). Most of these insects feed on plants and are likely harmless to your chickens. They look like they have recently hatched, which explains why there are many of them in one place. A female may have found a nice sheltered spot on your coop to lay eggs. They will likely disperse on their own soon. I highly doubt they are causing any issues for your chickens, your chooks might even like them as a snack.

You could spray them with soapy water or Neem oil if you want to knock them back, but doing nothing is probably fine as well.
You are my new favorite human

they are nymphs of some kind of true bug (suborder Heteroptera). They don't look quite right for stink bug or leaf-footed bug nymphs, but are likely related to those.
That's what I would ave guessed....I am not an entomologist.
Am saving your screen name for future reference.

I'm glad you agree, more sets of eyes are always good! I'm happy to answer any/all bug ID questions. If I don't know it I likely work with someone who does :)
I've always been interested in insects, but have learned a lot in the past year following an insect/spider ID group on FB.

Hi there, I am an entomologist and a chicken keeper. The insects in the photo are nymphs of one of the "true bugs" (suborder Heteroptera). Most of these insects feed on plants and are likely harmless to your chickens. They look like they have recently hatched, which explains why there are many of them in one place. A female may have found a nice sheltered spot on your coop to lay eggs. They will likely disperse on their own soon. I highly doubt they are causing any issues for your chickens, your chooks might even like them as a snack.

You could spray them with soapy water or Neem oil if you want to knock them back, but doing nothing is probably fine as well.
Like @aart i am saving your screen name!
And for @topochico225 I would let your chickens at them. They really do look like yummy snacks.

Back
Top Bottom