1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What in the world did my hen just make?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FreeChicken!, Jun 24, 2011.

1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    I went out to collect the eggs and found Victoria, my RIR hen, standing in the nesting box. She had just laid an egg--a weird egg!
    Does anyone know how this happened? It's weird!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's Victoria, the hen that laid the egg.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Not sure what that is. Yuk!

3. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    looks like a snake to me, but how that could be is beyond me.

4. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Looks like a soft shell egg. May just be a glich in the egg works there. I have a few hens that would pass eggs like that now and then. Just keep any eye her, if she keeps laying them then you will want to look at cause factors, ie. stress, worms, ect. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it keeps happing.

By the way, Victoria looks more like a Sex-link then a RIR. Nice looking hen though.

5. chickenluv

chickenluv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Sterling IL
    It does look like a soft shell egg, I had a girl lay one like that once, it seemed like she layed the egg with the yolk inside, but the white somehow ended up on the outside with the membrane and something made everything all gooey and squishy [​IMG]

Do you feed oyster shell at all? I didn't used to, and after I started them on it, I haven't had any more weird eggs!

6. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I have a chicken (Golden Comet) that will do this if she doesn't get a lot of calcium. See pic. I've had 4-5 like this; sometimes shell is soft, sometimes only the "umbilical cord" coming out & everything else about egg seems normal. I scramble them & feed back to chickens. I'm more careful when I treat my girls or give them table scraps-- I sprinkle the treats with oyster shell-- watermelon rind sprinkled with oyster shell, cabbage sprinkled with water so the oyster shell will stick, etc. As long as I do this, I don't have this problem. I also can't use off-brand commercial layer feeds (like they sell at Walmart). I use only brand-name layer formula now. I think because Golden Comets are such prolific layers, they just have to have that calcium. Nothing to worry about! (An older lady at our church told me it meant the chicken's laying days were done--- scared me to death, since all my hens are less than a year old!--- She's laying fine now, almost an egg a day.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Quote:I'm sure she's a Rhode Island Red though. She came from a hatchery and was in the RIR "bucket". And thanks, she is beautiful. [​IMG]

Quote:No, I don't. Perhaps that will help. [​IMG]

Quote:Okay, thanks! I'm sure Victoria will be fine; I'm just confused about this egg. She laid another egg recently and it was fine... until my egg-eater got to it. Bad Blanca! I gotta break that habit. XD

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I always call those "egg on a leash".. I see MAYBE one a year (I have over 100 chickens).. nothing to worry about.. I just feed them to the dogs

9. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Quote:Egg on a leash. [​IMG]

And thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by