What in the world??? I thought they were professional horse trainers!!

What Linda was doing was teaching the horse to stay out of her personal space. Some horses want to get up in your face and it can be dangerous if something was to spook it and you get trampled. I am a horse trainer and have been to one of their training seminars.....and I was not impressed to say the least. She wasn't actually hitting it in the face but when she slings the lead it makes the metal latch pop the underside of their chin. What she was doing in this really looked like she was doing more to confuse the horse than teach it anything.
I use a similiar method but instead I keep flipping the lead back and forth so they get tired of it and move back. I use Clinton Anderson's techniques some and the rest are those I have developed on my own. In some training techniques it is more to make them uncomfortable and when they move, backup...etc. you reward them each time and the horse figures out..."oh that is what you wanted me to do" in the end. I am gentle with my training..taking the time and have always had very good success. You have to think like a horse to get them to understand. Many trainers push and push hard which makes a horse that is unsure of themselves...anyways...I just wanted to let you know she was not really hurting the horse but instead...well...the Parelli techniques are strange. I know at the seminar the only training thing they showed the whole weekend was trailer loading. Other than that it was showing tricks their horses could do. That was a weekend of my life I will never get back. hehe
Hope this helps.

Ohhhh..wait a minute....I am a quarter Chikamaka indian with a little Blackfoot and Cherokee thrown in. Having native blood does not make a bit of difference in training horses. Horses don't know what you are made up of.. LOL The thing with training horses is this. They are all different and you have to be able to read a horse to know how to get it to do the things you want it to do. Patience is the big key...you have to push them a bit to understand but it can be done in a gentle way. I agree with welsummerchicks....it is a "show". My friend who is a big fan and took me to the seminar I went to took offense when I said the whole thing was just a "pony show". Of course a horse is going to start coming to you willingly once it finds you are going to give it a treat each time...duh.
The thing it people like this makes my job and other good trainers look bad. Yeah I can teach a horse tricks...but my main goal is to make a safe horse that is sensible and easy to handle and ride...and do it in a way that lets the horse be comfortable in learning. Yes...I have had some real monsters but it all comes down to how you handle it.
big_smile.png

I think that's what is the worst about the big celebrity trainers. People could much better afford to get frequent lessons from local traditional folks, and when they start out, they need that - they may need that for a long, long time too. And riding is an awful lot different from training. That's the next step - first comes riding, then training.

Actually Patnchicks I meant that Pat Parelli isn't that much to look at these days. That boy has gotten a little bloated.

As for Linda Parelli and her jumping, eventing and dressage experience...I saw some of that...REAL scary looking.

Last edited:
I really liked this thread. I watch lots of horse training videos. I wanted to train my mule. My husband trained his horse and did a good job at it. I thought (silly me) I could watch videos and my husband would help me train my mule. So when she was 3 my husband put a blanket on her and had her lunge for a few minutes. I got interested and wanted to try. Guess what, she wouldn't move or respect me. Well I watched all those dang videos, I could do this. Nope, I finally figured out what it was though. It's my "natural" body language. I'm a softy and it comes out through my body language. Horses and mules do not respect me, but want to be my buddy. I guess I can be happy with that.

ETA: Since I could not train her, or get her to listen to me, I sold her. My husband trained her and rode her and she did great. Never would listen to me. I sold her to a guy who lives down the road from me. She is now pulling wagons and loving every minute of it. She's such a smart mule and loves to please and be loved on. I was sad for a while, but it's better she has the work she was meant to do.

Last edited:
I've only worked with one donkey and one mule, but I found them wonderful to work with. Both very smart and very, very good retention of what they learned. Just really nice animals. The couple I worked with had been really messed up by someone at some point - one was obviously abused, another one was really spoiled, but both learned very quickly to not be like that. And so cute. The major problems seem to be incorrect training and over feeding. Poor things.

I see little to no clear clues expressed to the horse as to what she wanted. In fact the horse reponded to her by moving forward when she got near its shoulder area. The horse moved forward as to try and lunge but was rewarded with more wild flailing of her arms and the lead rope. I also felt she had no control of the lead rope by wildy waving it the way she was there was too much slack. WTH

And why does she keep yanking on it when the horse is clearly 4-6 feet away from her? Does she need more personal space than that????

If the horse is blind in one eye, nature is going to take over. The horse knows humans are not a threat to it, so it is going to be very wary of anything else around him that could be a potential predator. Therefore its attention is not going to be fully focused on the trainer. I think a gentler approach is warranted.

Last edited:
My guess is that the horse is a pretty well trained horse, but sport horse type training. Linda was punishing it for not being trained HER way, which is crazy, because the horse was doing exactly what it was supposed to, according to the type of training it had. Just adapt to what the horse knows, it's obvious enough what's going on, why be so crazy about it.

I did not know that the horse is blind in one eye???? I am deaf so any dialogue in the video was lost on me.
You write a great rebuttal and I totally agree with you. IF the horse is blind in one eye then the horse needs "specialized" training as he will be very protective of his space and his surroundings. I am glad you agree that "one shoe doesn't fit all" training approach--cuz it is true.....
pips&peeps :

I see little to no clear clues expressed to the horse as to what she wanted. In fact the horse reponded to her by moving forward when she got near its shoulder area. The horse moved forward as to try and lunge but was rewarded with more wild flailing of her arms and the lead rope. I also felt she had no control of the lead rope by wildy waving it the way she was there was too much slack. WTH

And why does she keep yanking on it when the horse is clearly 4-6 feet away from her? Does she need more personal space than that????

If the horse is blind in one eye, nature is going to take over. The horse knows humans are not a threat to it, so it is going to be very wary of anything else around him that could be a potential predator. Therefore its attention is not going to be fully focused on the trainer. I think a gentler approach is warranted.​

Quote:
BRAVO!!!! You tell it like it is
thumbsup.gif
bow.gif
clap.gif

For funnzies today after I rode my horse, I waggled the lead rope at her, just like Linda did. Horse looked at me like I was nuts. You could see her saying "what ARE you doing?" She is a dressage horse at First Level right now so she is very responsive.

Back
Top Bottom