what in the world is this?

Quote:
th.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Russian Orloffs are spangled. This bird has FAR too much white on it, and even then, the spangling is more like mottling... typical of hatchery stock that is supposed to be speckled/spangled. For instance, it's common that Silver Spangled Spitzhaubens from hatcheries have too much black on them.

I said hatchery, because the chick was bought at Tractor Supply (They get their chicks from a hatchery.)
It also explains why the chick might not look exactly like a Breeding Quality Bird that you would find as a reference photo online.
Hatcheries rarely cull breeders for faults, so sometimes the colors are a little off, or they won't have muffs...
If you are not going to show the bird, "Hatchery" is not a bad thing. (We all love our feed store chickies!)

***edited to fix my Lysdexia

Last edited:
Quote:
Russian Orloffs are spangled. This bird has FAR too much white on it, and even then, the spangling is more like mottling... typical of hatchery stock that is supposed to be speckled/spangled. For instance, it's common that Silver Spangled Spitzhaubens from hatcheries have too much black on them.

Russian Orloffs are spangled.

Spangled is ONE of the colors they come in Yes.

This bird has FAR too much white on it, and even then, the spangling is more like mottling

Some Spangled breed will mold out a lot of there White, Spangling can fluctuate from bird to bird and the Spangling as seen in the Orloff is completely different from Spangling in a Old English Game Bantam.

For example here is one of my Orloff roosters, he is a Spangled but with very little White.
33115_lunapic_129053972146564_3.jpg

Chris​

It's really cute, I didn't realize what an interesting looking breed the Orloffs are.

What's going on with it's toe? Looks a little irritated (the toe, not the bird - the bird looks sweet)

Back
Top Bottom