What incubators are good to buy for beginners?

PoultryAndPets

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
I have been hatching ducks for two years now, but I haven't been incubating and have really just bought fertilised eggs and placed them under my broody ducks. I would like to start incubating so that I am able to take advantage of imprinting (and I am aware of how that sounds) so that my ducks are a little bit more friendly towards me. I'm not a farmer, and I'd likely not sell these ducklings, so I'm really looking for an incubator that hatches 6-12 duck eggs, and that will last. I don't need anything over-the-top or fancy - I'm just looking for something simple so I can have a go at it, I suppose. If I want to continue with it I'd likely upgrade but we'll see. I have a budget of $100 and as I'm really viewing this as an experience to gain knowledge (and ducks obviously), I'd rather not go over it. I live in Australia, and so I have looked at Brinsea, but they seem to be over my price range. If anyone has any advice I would certainly appreciate it. Is there a good place to buy incubators second-hand? Thanks.

I have been hatching ducks for two years now, but I haven't been incubating and have really just bought fertilised eggs and placed them under my broody ducks. I would like to start incubating so that I am able to take advantage of imprinting (and I am aware of how that sounds) so that my ducks are a little bit more friendly towards me. I'm not a farmer, and I'd likely not sell these ducklings, so I'm really looking for an incubator that hatches 6-12 duck eggs, and that will last. I don't need anything over-the-top or fancy - I'm just looking for something simple so I can have a go at it, I suppose. If I want to continue with it I'd likely upgrade but we'll see. I have a budget of $100 and as I'm really viewing this as an experience to gain knowledge (and ducks obviously), I'd rather not go over it. I live in Australia, and so I have looked at Brinsea, but they seem to be over my price range. If anyone has any advice I would certainly appreciate it. Is there a good place to buy incubators second-hand? Thanks.
You could check Facebook Marketplace or Craig's List to see if they have any used. I picked up a used Brinsea 56 EX from Marketplace.

I started with an NR 360 and now use both of them. I think the NR 360 would be great for beginners as I was!

Always get a separate thermometer/hygrometer though as both incubators were off a bit. I got two different Govee brand and love them.

Here is a thread about another good one that's cheaper than those.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/kebonnix-12-egg-incubator-thread.1568172/

You could check Facebook Marketplace or Craig's List to see if they have any used. I picked up a used Brinsea 56 EX from Marketplace.

I started with an NR 360 and now use both of them. I think the NR 360 would be great for beginners as I was!

Always get a separate thermometer/hygrometer though as both incubators were off a bit. I got two different Govee brand and love them.
Okay, thank you so much :)

I would avoid 'yellow chinese' incubators sold on amazon/ebay, Brinseas are nice but way overpriced for what they are. They do have a ding and dent clearance but they changed $30 for shipping for my door opener (which doesn't work), I can't imagine what the shipping for something bigger would be.
Nature rights are good incubators.

If your handy with tools you can build one at the size you want. And get the necessary parts online and put it together. Less than $50. Just your time, tools and materials.

Back
Top Bottom