What information do you wish you had known starting out?

Spare bathroom for me.....that way I can camke sure they are kept clean, warm and out of harms way...CONFESSION...the I use the john for a seat to watch my babies for hours...

I did that last year! I used a baby gate to keep them in the shower stall. It was my brooder. It was fun until they started flying all over the room!
D.gif

I would like to have known about quarantining new chickens. I lost my first chickens by adding two new ones. One of them had some illness that eventually took out all but 1 chicken. I guess she was immune.

I just attended a basic chicken and poultry workshop at the Grange Co-Op (local feed chain in Southern Oregon) here in Klamath Falls. It was 1.5 hours and VERY helpful. The most helpful things- naming the predators for our area and how they get into the coop . For example, I didn't know that possums would dig under to coop to get in and kill chickens...and I didn't realize that racoons can flip the lock on the coop. We've already made changes to our coop. Another helpful tip was installing side curtains on the coop for those very rainy or snowy days. I also appreciated the information on things to NOT feed chickens...we are putting our coop in the garden area, but are now going to re-locate the tomato plants since the leaves and stems are poisonous!

2 week olds...Lil' Rhody (RRI) Squirt (Light Brahma) Bo (Plymouth Barred) Foggy (Leghorn) Moa (Ameraucana)

Michele

I wish I knew how well vasoline can keep scaly leg mite under control. Totally cured some really bad legs for me without poisens.

I want to know the best way to clean eggs to preserve them.

Back
Top Bottom