What is a comet chicken?

Golden Comet Hens

Family005-11.jpg

Golden Comets chicks are color sexed; females are red and white and males are white.

The Golden Comets are one of three Modern Day Brown egg laying strains from hybrid breeding that produce fast body development and fast egg production. These strains will start to lay eggs at a younger age than most standard breeds and produce big brown eggs. They are also color sexable as chicks, cockerels are white, and the pullets are more brownish red in color.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a sex-link and are wonderful, gentle birds! They start laying at 15 weeks, like all other sex-links and are also known as Golden Reds and Golden Stars. It just depends on which hatchery they come from and what they decide to call them. Here's a pic of one of my young Goldens.
DSC02175.jpg

Thanks so much, guys! They sound wonderful, and are very pretty. I may just have to add some to my flock!

Quote:
It's a chicken that cleans your sink.

Just kidding, all the above info is correct. Also note they are not a true breed they are a first generation cross between a red male and a white, silver gened female. If you mate a male and female Comet the offspring will not be color sexable.

I LOVE them they're awesome chickens.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Here is what Welp hatchery says about Comets.
"Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females. The females are primarily red while the males are primarily white; therefore, the sexes can be separated immediately following hatching. This layer is used in many commercial layer operations. They have excellent livability, and are very efficient producers of large brown eggs. Mature hens will weigh about 5 1/2 lbs. and can be salvaged for fowl meat when their use for laying is over. Mature males will weigh approximately 8 lbs
Red Sex-linked Chicken - Baby: can be color-sexed. Females are salmon-red color; Male are white. Mature: Red feather bird with some white showing in the tail, neck and breast areas. They are quiet and easy to handle, noted for her beautiful color and small body size, and an excellent layer of medium brown colored egg.
They are also known as Golden Comet, Gold Star, and Cinnamon Queen.
Weight: 4.5 lbs. (Welp)

So if you breed a silver comet male to a silver comet female.....do you get a silver comet that lays alot? Or the original breeds that make a silver comet?

Back
Top Bottom