What is a comet chicken?

Sex links. Red star, or golden comet. They are all the same.. pretty much and super egg layers. I would go with golden comet.
smile.png

They are very docile, I have two. One of them runs to me every time I come outside. I love this breed! The pictures that were posted to show you what they are, are of pullets. I personally think that adult GCs are prettier than pullets. This picture is of one of my GCs.

Just an update on these. Mine lay Jumbo eggs. I had to buy egg cartons just to close the box and still some eggs are so big I can't close the Jumbo cartons.
AND I got another on yesterday that was bigger then this one. Now they don't all lay them that big but that is my hand.

I have one laying and one chick comet. I noticed that Haley consistently lays large-yolked eggs. Is this common to the breed, or is it my girl?

I am also thinking about getting a Comet or two... They sound like pretty good layers. How do they lay in the winter? Do they tolerate confinement well?
smile.png

I will add in here with a little more pessimistic perspective. I had 2 Golden Comets in my original flock. Like everyone has said, they are very friendly and docile, and great layers. Unfortunately, that great laying characteristic can be their downfall. Because they are "engineered" to lay early and often, they seem very prone to developing internal laying issues if you keep them beyond 2ish years. Last summer and early fall, I watched one of my sweet little Goldies go downhill slowly due to internal laying. Her whole thread is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...p-white-poop-is-this-chicken-going-to-make-it

I didn't know at first what was happening to her, which is what led me to research laying problems, and in turn, that revealed that Golden Comets are often susceptible to these issues. She eventually died peacefully in her sleep, and while I didn't do a necropsy, it was pretty clear that she had an intense internal infection going on.

Given all that I learned about Golden Comets, I likely wouldn't get them again. But that's primarily because I see these chickens as pets, and they stay for the long haul regardless of how long or often they are laying. I recognize other folks will keep chickens for just a year or two and then replace as production slows (and I say that without any judgement, as I know we all have different ways of keeping chickens!! :))- if you are looking for fast producers who will lay well for a year or two, I would definitely recommend these. Just know that if you keep them beyond that time, they may run into internal laying issues at a faster rate than other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom