What is a comet chicken?

My sex-link is a "Golden Comet" from the local feed store. She started laying jumbo brown eggs with a few speckles at 20 weeks old on Sept 25, 2010. She hasaveraged 6.6 eggs per week ever since. In December she twice laid two eggs in one day.

She's very friendly and less apt to roam like the other three breeds I have (EE, BA, SLW). She's a moderately good forager compared to the others, i.e., she's not as aggressive at scratching and picking up bugs and worms, and she's one of the first to hit the feed tray in the morning. She's always looking for treats from people, too.

She's been in a light-medium moult the past three weeks, but hasn't slowed laying at all.

If anyone goes broody while the feed store still has GC's, I want to have her raise two more day-old GC chicks for my little flock.

I am very new to raising chickens and learning so much here. Three weeks ago I bought six-day old golden comet pullets-sadly the next day one quiet little one died despite our best efforts to help her. Thankfully the remaining five are going strong. I also bought two ameracaunas and two buff orpingtons who are two weeks old. I put them all together right away-and things seem to be going well-although my impression at this early stage is that the golden comets are a little more spunky shall we say than the others. Does this sound about right or-is it just because they are older by a week?

Quote:
My girl's name is Kolu ("gold" in Hawai`ian.) She is the master-mooch of them all...."Buk bwuk bwaaat do you have for me?"
lol.png

Here are my 2 "gold sexlinks". I've got pictures of the backs of both of them. The first picture is of a lighter one that looks like a lot of GSLs. The second one has this fun combination of colors. Can't wait to see what she looks like when she grows up.

587_110506_gl_body.jpg

587_110506_gd_body.jpg

We have nine Golden Comets... five brought to NC as 16-week old pullets from Conneticut when our coop was delivered. Four from local farm store as day-old chicks-- now 11 weeks. Had six original, but the one who consistently laid double-yolk eggs died after we had her about a month-- so, so sad. They are sweet-tempered, lovely pets.. who just happen to lay more eggs than you could ever expect chickens to lay. The great thing for me is, because they're hybrids, no two look alike. Their combs (single) are all just a bit different, making them fun & easy to name! Not sure I'll ever want any other type of hen!

I just collected these 3 for
An abandoned house. The rescue place I work through said they are RIR but someone on another thread said they are comets. Can anyone confirm please?

Back
Top Bottom