1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a Easter Egg chickens real name?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by agirly4chicks, Feb 21, 2009.

1. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I really want to get a few but I don't know there real name. Please help a new chicken lover out.

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    hatcheries call them by amaraucanas (sp?) or aracaunas

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Mutt/Crossbreed, take your pick. they are breed just to get a colored egg, they will not breed true.

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    My novice understanding:

They go by several names. They're not an official breed, they're "mutt" chickens that have some Araucana (which is a real, but hard to find and breed) type of chicken. Some hatcheries sell them by Ameraucana, which is a blended name referring to the fact that the EE chicken has some Araucana blood.
    They lay tinted eggs. Most Ameraucanas lay blue/green eggs, but mine either isn't laying yet or lays a brown egg.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong!

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    LOL. Order Ameraucanas from any hatchery and you'll have your Easter Eggers. That's what happened for me and Mt Healthy. The hens look totally different from each other but their eggs sure are pretty!

Colby in KY

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I would recommend doing a "Search" on BYC for "Ameraucana", "Easter Egger", or even me as an Author and you will find a plethora of discussions and information that should answer all your questions.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by