what is a friendly rooster?

Well, I don't mind as he is a pretty little boy that I hatched myself
Yeah, I don't mind aggressive roosters if I was previously attached to the bird. I'm too big to get seriously hurt by them and have never been cut by one, although I do understand it happens often to others and infections are something to watch out for. I do not have any aggressive roosters atm, the last one tried to attack an untrained dog through the fence and that obviously did not work out for him.

Nearly all Cochins I've encountered have been the devil incarnate. Not just my own, either. Don't let those fluffy little chunks deceive you! ;)

That said, I'm sure there are nice instances out there, just never met one. :)

My only Buff Brahma became highly human aggressive.

~Alex
My grandpa had two massive cochin roosters when I was like 8, both of them were very aggressive. I have never owned a pure cochin, I have 1 Bantam cochin mix right now but he is not aggressive.

Yeah, I don't mind aggressive roosters if I was previously attached to the bird. I'm too big to get seriously hurt by them and have never been cut by one, although I do understand it happens often to others and infections are something to watch out for. I do not have any aggressive roosters atm, the last one tried to attack an untrained dog through the fence and that obviously did not work out for him.
He has given me a few scars as a chick when he was try to climb me. Ugh! But other that that, I hold him and he is fine with that. He is a bit worse with having the girls now but I don't care

I have heard and read a lot about lavender orpingtons being gentle giants. For me that is wrong. I have 4 roosters and my lav orp is the only one that tries to attack. The other three have never. He escaped his pen once and he spotted me from over 100 yards away and took off running towards me all flared up! I had a rake and I one the battle by shielding by legs from him until he was done.
Oh noooooo...My Lavender Orpington boy is very sweet. He's never tried to attack any human.

Oh noooooo...My Lavender Orpington boy is very sweet. He's never tried to attack any human.
It could be that he is only 7months old and going through his teen/young adult stage. Up until about 4 months old he was a sweety! I could hold him and talk to him and he did nothing and then just over night he changed. Maybe he will grow out of it.

Each chicken has its own personality. IMHO how you interact with him has a huge impact on him. Almost all roosters go through a juvenile hormone induced gonna do something stupid phase. How YOU handle it is important. Be prepared to have a pen next to perhaps attached to your run. For when he shows his immaturity by being over enthusiastic about breeding when he just doesn’t have the gentleman qualities and wants to take it from the hens rather than sweet talk them. Right about this time extremely teenage phase... he will on some level question your position in his little chicken world. Be prepared to keep yourself and hens safe until he matures a bit.
This will be determined by his basic personality. To answer your original question...lol. Why not go with a same breed rooster?
I cannot imagine how stunning a polish Roo would be. Best wishes

Each chicken has its own personality. IMHO how you interact with him has a huge impact on him. Almost all roosters go through a juvenile hormone induced gonna do something stupid phase. How YOU handle it is important. Be prepared to have a pen next to perhaps attached to your run. For when he shows his immaturity by being over enthusiastic about breeding when he just doesn’t have the gentleman qualities and wants to take it from the hens rather than sweet talk them. Right about this time extremely teenage phase... he will on some level question your position in his little chicken world. Be prepared to keep yourself and hens safe until he matures a bit.
This will be determined by his basic personality. To answer your original question...lol. Why not go with a same breed rooster?
I cannot imagine how stunning a polish Roo would be. Best wishes
Right!!! I had to separate my roos for a few weeks cause they were instantly mounting every 10 seconds. After a week or two in jail now they do their dance and talk a little before mounting the girls!

large fowl Light Sussex rooster. I have never had a mean boy. Gentle, curious and noble with their ladies. I sometimes have to give my boys extra feed as they always let the ladies go first.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom