What is a Golden Red chicken???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 7, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Our local farm supply store is ordering some chickens and they say they have some Golden Reds that are coming in. What in the world is a Golden Red?!?! [​IMG] I have never heard of this one! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think it must be someone's trade name for a golden or red sexlink. It isn't a standard breed name I've ever heard of but they keep trying to rename their own brands of sexlinks.

3. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Sounds like a red/gold sexlink. They are usually very sweet birds, reddish golden in color, with some white feathers showing through here and there. They are bred to be sexed by color at hatch and to be prolific producers of large, brown eggs.

My first gold sex-link was my friendliest chicken. I lost her to a predator, and now I have a 4 week old that I am raising up with my Speckled Sussex chicks. She seems to be as friendly as my first one.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Good! I have just reserved 18 pullets from our local farm supply store. They will be in he 23rd!!! I'm so excited! [​IMG]

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    another name for golden comets, maybe?!?!?!?!?.........ed.....Portland, IN...........

6. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    a golden red is a chicken from Marietta, PA they should start layin eggs around 3 months old but they may not. i have 3 golden reds and they layed great until they turned 3 yrs old riechs poultry farm sells them you should be able to order straight from the hatchery and they will be alot cheaper.

7. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Yes, I know them as Golden Comets, as well. I have 5 of them and they are great birds: friendly, hardy, and prolific egg layers. And in the Fall, we'll see how a couple of them are in the crockpot (I don't say that casually: very difficult part for me and i'm still not used to it. But it's a part of farming and one of the several reasons - egg laying, bug control - that I have them).

8. Crackers63

Crackers63 Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2012
    Willsboro, NY
    Thanks for the info! I just split an order with my brother and I had no info on them. Reich's has no info online either. This helped, and you are right; they are friendly, inquisitive and I find them quite humorous at times!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by