What Is A Good Backyard Chicken?

So I live in the suburbs and I want a quiet chicken. What is a good quiet chicken do you guys recommend? Also I want a rooster that would be quiet but also protect the flock. Again what breed do you guys recommend?
I live in the suburbs too. I've found that barred rocks haven't brought any attention to my house 😂 and I did get a rooster to protects my hens too but we got a complaint and had to get rid of him. We have outside cats all around our neighborhood and my girls are pretty protective of each other so they do do good without the rooster. Barred rocks are such sweethearts too they'll fall asleep on your lap. Hope you have good luck

What do you want the chickens for? Do you want them for meat, eggs, both, or just for pets?
No rooster is quiet, unless you get a bantam. But, a bantam won't be able to protect the flock. He can watch for dangers and alert the hens if he sees a predator, but he can't fight off a hawk, fox, raccoon, etc. If alerting is enough for you, then get some kind of bantam. If not, then you will have to get some other breed that will be loud.
Well, my bantam rooster is noisy AF. But he does a fantastic job warning the flock of danger. He can't fight to protect him (all 1.2 lbs of him would try), but they run when he sends up the alarm.

To OP: In my flock, my Brahma is almost silent. My Cochin is also very quiet. She doesn't sing an egg song. They are both super sweet. Both are huge, but very friendly and calm. My Silkies are the loudest hens I have. Good gravy!

But every chicken is an individual.

So I live in the suburbs and I want a quiet chicken. What is a good quiet chicken do you guys recommend? Also I want a rooster that would be quiet but also protect the flock. Again what breed do you guys recommend?

I am new to chickens too. We have had our flock for 9 months and live in the suburbs. I can tell you my experience with our little flock of 3 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Wyandottes, and 5 Buff Brahmas. We selected all of these breeds because we had heard they were quiet since we have neighbors on each side of our fence. Our quietest by far are the Brahmas, we hardly ever hear anything from them, not even the egg song. The Wyandottes, even when they sing their egg song or complain sound muffled compared to the Orpingtons. Orpingtons are the only ones who have caused us a lot of stress because of how noisy they are. Anytime they want a snack, or another hen is in the coop when they want to lay, they complain loudly and persistently until they get what they want. It wouldn't bother me if our neighbors weren't so close.
On a side note for suburb dwellers, we have an 8 ft, a 6 ft and a 4 ft fence enclosing our yard. Both the Orpingtons and the Wyandottes have flown over the 4 ft fence, but never the Brahmas. We love them all more than we ever realized we would, but if we had to do over again we would only get Brahmas.

I am new to chickens too. We have had our flock for 9 months and live in the suburbs. I can tell you my experience with our little flock of 3 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Wyandottes, and 5 Buff Brahmas. We selected all of these breeds because we had heard they were quiet since we have neighbors on each side of our fence. Our quietest by far are the Brahmas, we hardly ever hear anything from them, not even the egg song. The Wyandottes, even when they sing their egg song or complain sound muffled compared to the Orpingtons. Orpingtons are the only ones who have caused us a lot of stress because of how noisy they are. Anytime they want a snack, or another hen is in the coop when they want to lay, they complain loudly and persistently until they get what they want. It wouldn't bother me if our neighbors weren't so close.
On a side note for suburb dwellers, we have an 8 ft, a 6 ft and a 4 ft fence enclosing our yard. Both the Orpingtons and the Wyandottes have flown over the 4 ft fence, but never the Brahmas. We love them all more than we ever realized we would, but if we had to do over again we would only get Brahmas.
Yeah, generally speaking, you'll want a taller fence because of that. Sneaky little biddies! It'll help keep predators out, too, if it's taller.

Back
Top Bottom